Should we let some Syrians into our country? Watch

karl pilkington
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
David Cameron said we gave a moral responsibility, do we? Should we let these people in here.
Saleha09
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They're refugees, running from the most horrifying and atrocious situations so if you have any humanity, you'd be up for letting them in.

What would you have the do? Go back?
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saleha09)
They're refugees, running from the most horrifying and atrocious situations
Greece, Hungary and Austria aren't horrifying or atrocious.

They're migrants, not refugees. They became migrants when they left the first safe country they got to.
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
David Cameron said we gave a moral responsibility, do we? Should we let these people in here.
Yes, seeing as we're partly responsible for the situation in the first place. They should be made to live by our rules and laws though (which almost all do), if their culture is incompatible with Britain's ideals, it needs to change.
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saleha09)
Good point

I was more talking about those who had fled Syria and not been given right of stay in any other country
Given the situation in Syria I'm pretty confident that anyone fleeing Syria and claim asylum in the first safe country (ie Turkey) will be granted it, and rightly so. We then have a legal and moral duty to take our share of these people.

What's happening at the moment is that they aren't claiming asylum there, but paying criminal smugglers thousands of Euros to take them to Germany or the UK where they will have an easier life at the taxpayers' expense. They have no legal right or need to get to Germany or anywhere else in Europe.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zargabaath)
Yes, seeing as we're partly responsible for the situation in the first place. They should be made to live by our rules and laws though (which almost all do), if their culture is incompatible with Britain's ideals, it needs to change.
I don't see how we are responsible for the Syrian civil war.
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's no way ISIS would have the manpower or resources they do today if Saddam Hussain wasn't removed as Iraq's head of state. We, along with the US were responsible for that.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
There's no way ISIS would have the manpower or resources they do today if Saddam Hussain wasn't removed as Iraq's head of state. We, along with the US were responsible for that.
That has little to do with the Syrian civil war though. Most are fleeing the actual civil war not ISIS.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The most important thing to notice is the fact that they would not bring anything positive into our country and economy. We aren't responsible for anything that happens to them, so why the hell should we give a **** about them?
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Parliament voted against military action against Syria in 2013 which could have helped prevent the current situation. Or it could have made it worse.
hyenas.ma
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yes humanity comes first
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duncan2012)
Parliament voted against military action against Syria in 2013 which could have helped prevent the current situation. Or it could have made it worse.
realistically you would still have a refugee crisis as the civil war had destroyed much of the country.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
I would say that other countries in the middle east should support them they are not european they are middle eastern.
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That has little to do with the Syrian civil war though. Most are fleeing the actual civil war not ISIS.
ISIS are a major component of the rebellion against al-Assads regime. They are a part of the "actual civil war"
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would say that other countries in the middle east should support them they are not european they are middle eastern.
That's quite an arbitrary line you've drawn there, what's stopping the middle eastern countries saying the same thing? "They aren't Lebanese, they're Syrian"

btw the middle east has accepted much more refugees then Europe. Lebanon alone has 1 million, bare in mind that it's population was is only 4 million. Turkey has 1.8 billion. Other countries such as Jordan also have them, but I can't remember those figures right now.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
ISIS are a major component of the rebellion against al-Assads regime. They are a part of the "actual civil war"
No but we had nothing to do with the start of the civil war itself this situation would probably still exist without Iraq. And ISIS are not a major component they are mostly Iraqi sunnis
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not black and white out there, it rarely is. Right now neither side can be supported, and the UK government ruled out direct action in 2013. But that's what can happen with a democracy. So unfortunately the Syrian civilians get trapped in the middle.

There's no quick or easy way out of this mess, and agreeing to take in x thousand people who don't share our language, culture, values or societal norms just because some old musician says we should is a very short-sighted knee-jerk response, IMO.
troubadour.
Report 4 years ago
Wrong. Removing Saddam was entirely right and proper. It's the occupation that the US and the UK forces made a mess of. If you're going to blame the the US and the UK for anything, blame them for dismantling the Iraqi army and rebuilding it from scratch (expecting no decline in quality in the process) or for supporting governments with ridiculously sectarian agendas.
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hydeman)
Wrong. Removing Saddam was entirely right and proper. It's the occupation that the US and the UK forces made a mess of. If you're going to blame the the US and the UK for anything, blame them for dismantling the Iraqi army and rebuilding it from scratch (expecting no decline in quality in the process) or for supporting governments with ridiculously sectarian agendas.
https://www.quora.com/Iraq/Is-Iraq-a...Saddam-Hussein

For the average person, I'm willing to bet life was worse after the fall of Hussein then it was during his dictatorship. Of course the occupation was handled horrendously as well, but it should have never even have come to that situation.

Hussein was an evil despot, but he managed to hold order relatively well. Iraq and probably Syria would be much more stable today if we hadn't interfered.
A level sufferer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Refugees that actually follow the rules with seeking asylum in the first country should be let in. Not all ofc but our 'fair share'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (364)
44.72%
No (86)
10.57%
I'm not old enough (364)
44.72%

Watched Threads