The Student Room Group

Cat owners

Just wondering how long it took your cat(s) to learn their name?
Mine doesn't respond when I call him and so I am wondering whether or not he has some sort of problem with his ears
Reply 1
Original post by hol918
Mine doesn't respond when I call him and so I am wondering whether or not he has some sort of problem with his ears

Got my cat when she was about 5. She learned her name after a couple of months.
when the family first got our cats it took them a month or two to work it out. although a lot of the time they just ignore what your saying and respond only if your feeding them. how long have you had your cat?
Reply 3
Just do a little kissing noise with your teeth and they'll associate after a while :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by chelseafreak
when the family first got our cats it took them a month or two to work it out. although a lot of the time they just ignore what your saying and respond only if your feeding them. how long have you had your cat?

I've only had him for five weeks so now I think about it that's not very long at all
Original post by hol918
I've only had him for five weeks so now I think about it that's not very long at all

yeah give him a bit more time and he'll pick it up
Lmao.

Cats don't give a damn about being obedient, you got the wrong pet if you expected that! My cat knows his name and I can tell he hears when I call him as his ears move but damn he ain't gonna do **** unless there's food involved. :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Sabertooth
Lmao.

Cats don't give a damn about being obedient, you got the wrong pet if you expected that! My cat knows his name and I can tell he hears when I call him as his ears move but damn he ain't gonna do **** unless there's food involved. :tongue:

That's one of my sister's cats exactly.
If you call them by their name often enough you're cat should pick up on it quick enough. What can help is you can make a kissing noise or whisper to call your cat and then also say their name so they will associate their name with coming towards you.
Reply 9
None of my cats really respond to their name. They may look over at me if I say their name but they don't come running like a dog if I shout their name. To get them to do that, I shake their treat box and wherever they are in the house, they come running lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey would any cat owners be interested in taking part in my study?
I'm looking at cat behaviour and there's a chance to win an amazon voucher! I've dedicated a thread to it x
The more participants the higher the amazon voucher worth!
Sorry to post on this thread but I really need participants!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hol918

A simple way to test his hearing is to make a loud noise when he is not expecting it e.g. clap your hands, or a whistle when he is not looking at you and if he can hear he will turn his ears around to you, or might look at you.

Cat's are notorious for not responding unless THEY want to! :P
Depends on the name.

Mine's called ''Ignacio Marmaduke Pilkington-Smythe''.

He hasn't learnt it yet.
Reply 13
Original post by frankieboy
Depends on the name.

Mine's called ''Ignacio Marmaduke Pilkington-Smythe''.

He hasn't learnt it yet.

Ha no way!

Quick Reply

Latest