The Student Room Group

Routes into lifelong learning / FE teaching?

I am looking into ways I can teach in FE (adults at community colleges etc). I have a-levels in Maths/economics/politics/psych & sociology. I'm also well read on business studies and ICT. I would like to teach maths or business. What teaching quals would I need in terms of minimum law requirements and what a college would want before they employ me?

From what I can see my best option seems to be Cert in education & training level 3 which can be followed up with level 4/5 quals.

Would this surfice or would I need other training?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You would first need a honours degree in Mathematics or Business or similar. With your degree you can then do a PGCE in either Business or Mathematics which will then allow you to become a teacher.

EDIT: Im not sure of the legal requirements to teach at a college, but a college will definatly be looking for subject knowlegde and the ability to teach, which a degree+PGCE will prove you have.
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you have a degree?
I am process of doing a distance learning degree but it will probably be another 2-3 years before I complete it. I was hoping to get some experience during this time. I know to work in a state school/college I would need QTS but I was hoping there were other ways to get experience?
For example teaching adults math skills workshops or at academies?
Tby, without a degree, I think your best shot is just volunteering. That is just on my experience though. You could work as a ta with a level 3 teaching qual as far ad I am aware
Original post by bownessie
Tby, without a degree, I think your best shot is just volunteering. That is just on my experience though. You could work as a ta with a level 3 teaching qual as far ad I am aware

Ok thanks, have you been trying in the FE sector? There are level 4 & 5 teaching qualifications I am looking at.
Original post by skeptical_john
Ok thanks, have you been trying in the FE sector? There are level 4 & 5 teaching qualifications I am looking at.

I've not been trying in the FE sector, no. I've done some teaching in FE through a course I did and I got career advice about the nature of teaching in FE, which is the basis of my advise.
Reply 8
HI,

Do you have a local college that offers the Certificate in Education course (for the post-16 sector)? You could look online at a few courses as they are, generally, the same. With a degree you would be able to go up to level 6 and get the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education. Without a degree you would be awarded the Certificate in Education. You can apply for QTLS only with the level 6 course.

I looked into doing the post-16 course as I wanted to teach biology and health courses part time. I work 3 days in the NHS (and have 19 years experience in my profession) but wanted to forge a new career for myself. I would also like to teach at HE level and it is possible with a Masters (that I have) and the post-16 PGCE (you can do HE modules).

Try asking your local college about it. Maths courses come with a bursary. The college I asked at not only offered me a place on the course but also were willing to pay me for my teaching hours (need to do 40 hours in the first year, 60 hours in the 2nd year).

I am doing a secondary PGCE instead though!
Original post by Jo2103
HI,

Do you have a local college that offers the Certificate in Education course (for the post-16 sector)? You could look online at a few courses as they are, generally, the same. With a degree you would be able to go up to level 6 and get the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education. Without a degree you would be awarded the Certificate in Education. You can apply for QTLS only with the level 6 course.

I looked into doing the post-16 course as I wanted to teach biology and health courses part time. I work 3 days in the NHS (and have 19 years experience in my profession) but wanted to forge a new career for myself. I would also like to teach at HE level and it is possible with a Masters (that I have) and the post-16 PGCE (you can do HE modules).

Try asking your local college about it. Maths courses come with a bursary. The college I asked at not only offered me a place on the course but also were willing to pay me for my teaching hours (need to do 40 hours in the first year, 60 hours in the 2nd year).

I am doing a secondary PGCE instead though!

There are so many courses out there and they seem to change every few years but I have it as this:

w/o a degree I can do the level 3 award in education & training followed by the level 4 VET (formally CTLLS) then the level 5 on (DET). When that is done and I am in a full time teaching job I can apply for QTLS which would then allow me to work in secondary schools or FE not primary.

w/o a degree I am always going to be up against more qualified people so that would have to be a long term goal. But at least this way I could apply for some jobs and get some teaching experience.
Reply 10
Hi,

With QTLS you will struggle to get a permanent teaching post in a secondary school (with maths anyway). They tend to allow people in for vocational subjects (so, you could do business studies). A QTS applicant would always win on that one. However, there is a shortage of maths teachers so you may be lucky. You can work in 6th form colleges though, with QTLS, and for maths (a lot nicer than FE colleges so I have been told).

Functional skills jobs are low paid but good experience. Also, remember that you may have a harder time with this as it's usually people who failed at school.

You can always do the degree (is it maths or maths related?) and get the QTLS by doing the course you have said (plus working so many hours in FE colleges). Edge Hill do flexible secondary PGCE's and you can top up QTLS to QTS by doing a short course (distance learning, I think about 8 weeks) with them. In their prospectus they have a few case studies and one lady did just this. She had worked in FE as a biology lecturer (2 years) and covered maternity as supply teacher (in a school). The school offered her a post but she needed QTS. Edge Hill came to the rescue. They do different pathways so can tailor the course to suit. I asked Edge Hill and they said you need 2 years of experience of FE lecturing and evidence to prove what you have done (lesson plans and things).
You can work as a supply teacher (I checked) or cover supervisor in schools. Also, check this link: http://fe-plus.co.uk/

This is a good way to train in-house (and be paid) as a FE maths teacher and I am sure there are schemes, like this, across the country.
I would definitely top up to QTS as school teachers are paid more than FE and there is a better career structure (esp in maths). Also, school holidays!
After your degree, do a PGCE or PGDE in post-compulsory teaching and learning.
You can get a nice bursary too for going into maths teaching.
As far as I know Hope and Warwick are the only two which have a special maths stream in their post-compulsory PGCE/PGDE.
you could get experience by working as a TA or doing some casual tutoring? but you will need a degree and PGCE to actually be hired as a teacher, luckily it shouldn't be too hard to get a place on a course with a Maths degree!
Original post by Jo2103
Hi,
You can always do the degree (is it maths or maths related?) and get the QTLS by doing the course you have said (plus working so many hours in FE colleges). Edge Hill do flexible secondary PGCE's and you can top up QTLS to QTS by doing a short course (distance learning, I think about 8 weeks) with them. In their prospectus they have a few case studies and one lady did just this. She had worked in FE as a biology lecturer (2 years) and covered maternity as supply teacher (in a school). The school offered her a post but she needed QTS. Edge Hill came to the rescue. They do different pathways so can tailor the course to suit. I asked Edge Hill and they said you need 2 years of experience of FE lecturing and evidence to prove what you have done (lesson plans and things).
You can work as a supply teacher (I checked) or cover supervisor in schools. Also, check this link: http://fe-plus.co.uk/

This is a good way to train in-house (and be paid) as a FE maths teacher and I am sure there are schemes, like this, across the country.
I would definitely top up to QTS as school teachers are paid more than FE and there is a better career structure (esp in maths). Also, school holidays!

Thanks, this is really good information. I assumed QTLS & QTS would be treated the same for salary/holidays etc all very interesting.

Original post by Mpagtches
After your degree, do a PGCE or PGDE in post-compulsory teaching and learning.
You can get a nice bursary too for going into maths teaching.
As far as I know Hope and Warwick are the only two which have a special maths stream in their post-compulsory PGCE/PGDE.

Thing is I'm a mature student and I really need to work so doing a full time course in a brick uni will mean I can only work few hours.
It's a maths related (Econ & maths) maybe if there are still bursaries around I could do one.
Original post by doodle_333
you could get experience by working as a TA or doing some casual tutoring? but you will need a degree and PGCE to actually be hired as a teacher, luckily it shouldn't be too hard to get a place on a course with a Maths degree!

By casual tutoring do you mean in a like 1:1 scenario? Would that help with the CV? I am trying to arrange some volunteering.
On the bursaries does anyone know if a degree which is called Maths & economics with 7 maths modules count for any bursaries? I cant imagine they will still be there in 3 years when I've finished anyway.
If you approach unis about your circumstances, they may well say that yes you can do the maths stream but you may need to do some extra 'knowledge enhancement' course too, or they may even say you're A-OK just to go along with the graduates of straight maths.
The bursary for training to be a maths teacher is £25,000 if you get a 1st in your degree and £20,000 for a 2:1 (last year's figures, but fingers crossed they'll stay the same).
Original post by Mpagtches
If you approach unis about your circumstances, they may well say that yes you can do the maths stream but you may need to do some extra 'knowledge enhancement' course too, or they may even say you're A-OK just to go along with the graduates of straight maths.
The bursary for training to be a maths teacher is £25,000 if you get a 1st in your degree and £20,000 for a 2:1 (last year's figures, but fingers crossed they'll stay the same).

I did read that but I was unsure if my particular degree would count as its not 100% maths only about 50%. I thought if anything it would qualify for the 9k bursary.
By casual tutoring do you mean in a like 1:1 scenario? Would that help with the CV? I am trying to arrange some volunteering.

On the bursaries does anyone know if a degree which is called Maths & economics with 7 maths modules count for any bursaries? I cant imagine they will still be there in 3 years when I've finished anyway.

yeah I meant like a 1-1 type of thing, I don't know how you would get into doing something like that without knowing people but it's just a suggestion! volunteering or working as a TA would probably be easier to get into

I think the bursaries are about what subject you are going to teach? I'm not 100% sure but that was my impression, so if you were going to teach Maths you would qualify for a Maths bursary (and you would be fine teaching Maths with your degree)
I may have found a route that involves a lot less faff and a lot more security.

I could do my current year in Maths & Econ then move onto a secondary with QTS degree. This would depend on the bursary still being there for the final year which would mean I would not have to work full time while studying.

Quick Reply

Latest