Any good universities that offer clearing/adjustment in Biotechnology 2015?

Watch
jessicacyt56
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I am a Y13 student and am considering Biotechnology at university. I didn't get any good grades this summer.

AS grades:
Mathematics B
Biology C
Physics C
Chemistry D
Further Mathematics D

A2 Chinese(my first language) A

I want to know the universities that offer Biotechnology in clearing this year so when I am applying I might have a greater chance of getting an offer.

Subjects carrying on for A2: Maths, Physics, Biology.
I am retaking AS Physics and Biology whist doing them at A2 level. Also I am retaking C3 in Maths to get my A in AS Maths(got As in C1 and C2).

My parents advised me to look into accounting. I mean I don't mind doing accounting but I prefer Biology-related course. If I know I am not going to get any offers applying for Biotechnology, I might apply for accounting to get my offers then apply for Biotechnology through Adjustment. Do you guys think that will that work? Please give me some advice on this.

Any one who applied for Biotechnology through clearing/adjustment this summer(2015), please share your experience with us. Or just ANYTHING about this course, e.g. career pathway, university experience, interesting course or not etc.

Looking forward to your replies

Many thanks& lots of love
cherryred90s
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jessicacyt56)
Hi,

I am a Y13 student and am considering Biotechnology at university. I didn't get any good grades this summer.

AS grades:
Mathematics B
Biology C
Physics C
Chemistry D
Further Mathematics D

I want to know the universities that offer Biotechnology in clearing this year so when I am applying I might have a greater chance of getting an offer.

I am retaking AS Physics and Biology whist doing them at A2 level. Also I am retaking C3 in Maths to get my A in AS Maths(got As in C1 and C2).

My parents advised me to look into accounting. I mean I don't mind doing accounting but I prefer Biology-related course. If I know I am not going to get any offers applying for Biotechnology, I might apply for accounting to get my offers then apply for Biotechnology through Adjustment. Do you guys think that will that work? Please give me some advice on this.

Any one who applied for Biotechnology through clearing/adjustment this summer(2015), please share your experience with us. Or just ANYTHING about this course, e.g. career pathway, university experience, interesting course or not etc.

As it's pretty late in the year, you won't get a good scope of all the unis that have offered your chosen course in clearing. After a quick glance, the decent to good unis still offering biotechnology as either a major or minor for this years intake are:

Aberdeen
Bristol
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Imperial
Leeds
Liverpool
Manchester
Nottingham
UCL
York

These are the unis listed on UCAS. You may find that when you go onto their individual websites, your course may not be listed in their clearing vacancies. This will mean that UCAS hasn't updated (I had this problem when applying this year) you will obviously have to look at their entry requirements to see which unis you can realistically apply to, but bear in mind that some will drop their original entry requirements for clearing. (I got accepted to Kent with 2 grades lower than required)

Hope that helped
jessicacyt56
Rep:
?
jessicacyt56
Rep:
?
(Original post by cherryred90s)
As it's pretty late in the year, you won't get a good scope of all the unis that have offered your chosen course in clearing. After a quick glance, the decent to good unis still offering biotechnology as either a major or minor for this years intake are:

Aberdeen
Bristol
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Imperial
Leeds
Liverpool
Manchester
Nottingham
UCL
York

These are the unis listed on UCAS. You may find that when you go onto their individual websites, your course may not be listed in their clearing vacancies. This will mean that UCAS hasn't updated (I had this problem when applying this year) you will obviously have to look at their entry requirements to see which unis you can realistically apply to, but bear in mind that some will drop their original entry requirements for clearing. (I got accepted to Kent with 2 grades lower than required)

Hope that helped
ThanksThis is really really really helpful. I will surely go to their individual websites for more information. I have also emailed some admissions officers to explain my situation, so I can know whether I should apply for them or not.

I guess the only thing that I can do now is to work as hard as I can to pull my grades up, so that next year at this time, I will be at stronger position if I apply through clearing/adjustment.

How did u sort out ur accomadation and student finance after u are assured a place at Kent?

BTW Good luck for ur 1st year at Kent
cherryred90s
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ThanksThis is really really really helpful. I will surely go to their individual websites for more information. I have also emailed some admissions officers to explain my situation, so I can know whether I should apply for them or not.

I guess the only thing that I can do now is to work as hard as I can to pull my grades up, so that next year at this time, I will be at stronger position if I apply through clearing/adjustment.

How did u sort out ur accomadation and student finance after u are assured a place at Kent?

BTW Good luck for ur 1st year at Kent
No problem & thank you yep hard work always pays off!

As soon as I was accepted, they offered me accommodation at one of their ensuite halls so i guess I'm lucky. I changed some details on student finance so I've now got to wait for them to be confirmed. I'll probably get my loan late but Kent have said I can amend the day to pay my rent to fit around my loan payment days
lime-jelly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

AS grades:
Mathematics B
Biology C
Physics C
Chemistry D
Further Mathematics D

Hi, I started studying biotech with enterprise at Leeds uni from sept 2014, I would really not recommend the course. I LOVED Biology all the way through school and college, but disliked chemistry as I don't find maths very interesting. Biotech at uni was like chemistry at A level but more indepth and with a lot more maths, also half the experiments we did in first year were microbiology (they were amazing not going to lie) and molecular biology (which was more like physics, analysing wavelengths and ****). I got in through clearing my firm was Edinburgh, they wanted AAA, I got A*ABC at A level but the C was in chemistry so I got rejected. Leeds let me in and there was only 10 people on the course, 3 of which (including myself) dropped out by the end of the year.
The main reason I decided to apply to Leeds (and Ed in fact) was that the prospectus said that I could pick up a language as a discovery module, but Leeds lied- as this was a joint honours subject I didn't have enough timetable space. There is a lot of labs and contact time, I had 9am-5pm full of classes and labs on Monday, on Friday and Wednesday I had half days thankfully but other students I know studying law and psychology in my flat had whole days off and barely seemed to have much reading or work to do compared to myself. I found the bio staff very unhelpful at leeds, they were not arsed about undergrads they only cared about their research and were very rude. But I guess you will find that at any russell group or research intensive university. I hope that helps
jessicacyt56
Rep:
?
(Original post by lime-jelly)
Hi, I started studying biotech with enterprise at Leeds uni from sept 2014, I would really not recommend the course. I LOVED Biology all the way through school and college, but disliked chemistry as I don't find maths very interesting. Biotech at uni was like chemistry at A level but more indepth and with a lot more maths, also half the experiments we did in first year were microbiology (they were amazing not going to lie) and molecular biology (which was more like physics, analysing wavelengths and ****). I got in through clearing my firm was Edinburgh, they wanted AAA, I got A*ABC at A level but the C was in chemistry so I got rejected. Leeds let me in and there was only 10 people on the course, 3 of which (including myself) dropped out by the end of the year.
The main reason I decided to apply to Leeds (and Ed in fact) was that the prospectus said that I could pick up a language as a discovery module, but Leeds lied- as this was a joint honours subject I didn't have enough timetable space. There is a lot of labs and contact time, I had 9am-5pm full of classes and labs on Monday, on Friday and Wednesday I had half days thankfully but other students I know studying law and psychology in my flat had whole days off and barely seemed to have much reading or work to do compared to myself. I found the bio staff very unhelpful at leeds, they were not arsed about undergrads they only cared about their research and were very rude. But I guess you will find that at any russell group or research intensive university. I hope that helps
Thx for replying and sharing your experience with us, I will take your advice. Hopefully I will find out more about the course at uni's open day. I am actually thinking about applying to Surrey.:yep: What course are you doing now?
jessicacyt56
Rep:
?
(Original post by cherryred90s)
No problem & thank you yep hard work always pays off!

As soon as I was accepted, they offered me accommodation at one of their ensuite halls so i guess I'm lucky. I changed some details on student finance so I've now got to wait for them to be confirmed. I'll probably get my loan late but Kent have said I can amend the day to pay my rent to fit around my loan payment days
Awwww, that's great. This actually reassures me somehow about applying through clearing/adjustment next summer. Hopefully everything will work out nicely for you and have fun at Kent!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (108)
59.67%
No (38)
20.99%
Not sure (35)
19.34%

Watched Threads