The Student Room Group

Can someone fill me in on the culture/demographics of the Uni's I'm applying to?

Please excuse the vulgar username, I made it a while ago when I was a "funny" gamer and can't be bothered to make a new account...

I'm applying a year late based off my A2 results, as a result I'm not experiencing the usual chat with teachers and friends about the particular unis.

Uni's I'm looking at, to study PPE
1. Oxford
2. UCL
3. Warwcik
4. York
5. Exeter
6. Manchester

I'm not an "academic"; NONE of my family have gone to Uni, I've got to a state school, I like lifting weights and partying/drinking beers, I just happen to have an interest in chatting about politics and philosophy.

So...
>Are any Uni's hugely more academic/elitist (boring?) than the others?
>Are there any which are strongly politically right wing; I feel I'm leaning that way but I'd like to go to a Uni of varied backgrounds
>Also... I've heard rumours that some Unis have lots of people from an Asian background (LSE?) who study very hard and aren't much fun.Is this a huge generalization, or legitimate worry?

THanks guys, sorry for the kind of odd thread I just don't want to get myself into the wrong place...
Original post by Beta Phaggot
Please excuse the vulgar username, I made it a while ago when I was a "funny" gamer and can't be bothered to make a new account...

You can get the username changed by asking CT in this forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1215 - Hopefully it'll put you out of your username misery! :smile:
Is this serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You'd be very hard pushed to find a 'strongly right wing' uni, or indeed, any uni which would want a reputation as such. The most you could hope for would be Tory/Tory-lite. Unis are generally much more left-wing/liberal.

Having said that, any organisation contains peculiar elements. From experience, Oxford can be deeply Conservative/conservative, but even then, few people would openly identify themselves as 'strongly right wing'.
Original post by Beta Phaggot

I'm applying a year late based off my A2 results, as a result I'm not experiencing the usual chat with teachers and friends about the particular unis.

Uni's I'm looking at, to study PPE
1. Oxford
2. UCL
3. Warwcik
4. York
5. Exeter
6. Manchester

I'm not an "academic"; NONE of my family have gone to Uni, I've got to a state school, I like lifting weights and partying/drinking beers, I just happen to have an interest in chatting about politics and philosophy.

So...
>Are any Uni's hugely more academic/elitist (boring?) than the others?
>Are there any which are strongly politically right wing; I feel I'm leaning that way but I'd like to go to a Uni of varied backgrounds
>Also... I've heard rumours that some Unis have lots of people from an Asian background (LSE?) who study very hard and aren't much fun.Is this a huge generalization, or legitimate worry?

THanks guys, sorry for the kind of odd thread I just don't want to get myself into the wrong place...

Uh...students tend to be more left wing and I doubt many will say that they are STRONGLY right wing for fear of being teased or anything.
LSE does have a high proportion of Asian students but you will also find many students, including Asians, who are willing to have fun, just like at any other uni. I think the thing to worry more about LSE is the focus on getting 500000000 Spring Weeks. I'm partly joking, of course...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending