The Student Room Group
Reply 1
they dont like it but sum1 i know just wrote in pencil to piss the examiners off (or so he said) and got reasonable marks
Reply 2
leda swanson
does anyone know whether the exam boards can punish you for doing your exams in pencil?

Well you're not meant to cos then your teachers could, in theory, rub out your answers and amend them or something .... :confused:
yes, if u do it all in pencil. If u do certain bits in pencil such as calculations/equations im sure its fine.
Reply 4
leda swanson
does anyone know whether the exam boards can punish you for doing your exams in pencil?

They can not mark it.
Reply 5
leda swanson

i dont think your allowed to do it in pencil,my teacher didnt mark my mock caus i used pencil! why did you use lead leda?
Reply 6
thanks! incredibly quick replies!
Reply 7
leda swanson

For my AS papers i only wrote in pencil so i could rub out. I have a habit of making mistakes or changing things at the end of the paper when im checking through it.
Reply 8
OMG please tell me this is some windup. i did a large majority of my working out in pencil because i make a lot of mistakes and rub things out. i did check on the front of my paper and it said nothing about how answers should be written prior to doing this. ARGH!!
Reply 9
vinz
OMG please tell me this is some windup. i did a large majority of my working out in pencil because i make a lot of mistakes and rub things out. i did check on the front of my paper and it said nothing about how answers should be written prior to doing this. ARGH!!

yes its a windup, relax you'll be fine
im sure its fine but the reason we got toldnot to use pencils unless neccessary in our Edexcel Maths GCSE Exam today was because Edexcel are scanning the papers onto the computer this year. Dunno if anyone else has heard that
Reply 11
AQA are usually the touchy board about using pencils. Especially for MAths. It's purely because they think the teachers may change your answers. I shouldn't worry though, it doesn't explicitly say you can't.
Reply 12
stu_uk_aussie
Edexcel are scanning the papers onto the computer this year. Dunno if anyone else has heard that

Yeah that's true, they're doing it with ASs too, that's why some papers have that bold line going all around the edge now, because that space is out of the scanner range. I think it's to make marking and moderating quicker,
Reply 13
Mat666
AQA are usually the touchy board about using pencils. Especially for MAths. It's purely because they think the teachers may change your answers. I shouldn't worry though, it doesn't explicitly say you can't.

On some papers it does, actually. Sometimes it says you must only write in blue or black ink. Also, don't use red or green because those are the colours the examiners use, and they won't mark it.
Reply 14
So very true. Best just not to use pencil
Reply 15
stu_uk_aussie
im sure its fine but the reason we got toldnot to use pencils unless neccessary in our Edexcel Maths GCSE Exam today was because Edexcel are scanning the papers onto the computer this year. Dunno if anyone else has heard that

We didn't get told that, stupid teachers :eek: I did actually write a bit in pencil! My exam just got even worse :frown:
You should write in black or blue ink - anything else and the examiner has no obligation to mark you script, meaning you will get 0%.
Reply 17
leda swanson

i did loads of my maths mock in pencil and my teacher explained to me that it wont be markd if you use pencil throughout cos it can be changed by someone.graphs and stuff are ok tho.
Reply 18
I remember when i was in year 10 i did my science GCSE (well, half or it or whatever it was....we were on a board where you did a bit of your GCSE in year 10) i wrote it all in pencil and then a teacher comes up to me 10 mins before the end and points out that on the front of the paper it says only to write in blue or black ink!!! But...i still got a C, they didn't peanalise. I wouldn't recommend it tho, just incase they do peanalise (i think its ok for workings out tho)
Edexcel Mathematics' examiners are known to dislike the use of pencils as writing is sometimes illegible. So you can understand the disapproval of an English examiner, or any other subject examiner, in which long/structured responses are written in pencil.

Latest

Trending

Trending