The Student Room Group

Retake GCSE's and skip a year of college or find a place elsewhere?

I have recently been told by my college that it is not possible to pursue their A level courses in science because I have not achieved the required grades at GCSE. I'm really unsure of what to do now. My dream is to become a doctor and right now it just sounds impossible. Do you know of any other colleges that are still accepting applicants? Essentially, should I stay at the college and do: law, business studies, economics and psychology; all subjects that I am not interested in, or should I apply elsewhere or even retake my GCSE's? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, right now I'm not even capable of thinking straight.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Umair Abbasi
I have recently been told by my college that it is not possible to pursue their A level courses in science because I have not achieved the required grades at GCSE. I'm really unsure of what to do now. My dream is to become a doctor and right now it just sounds impossible. Do you know of any other colleges that are still accepting applicants? Essentially, should I stay at the college and do: law, business studies, economics and psychology; all subjects that I am not interested in, or should I apply elsewhere or even retake my GCSE's? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, right now I'm not even capable of thinking straight.

Well, i think you should apply elsewhere and do those a levels but whilst you're in college revise for your gcse science exams and sit them somewhere as an external/private candidate. Then when you have your Gcse grades in your sciences, do them in year 13. You might have to spend another year, but if you dont want to, i guess u can self teach yourself a lot of it and try catching up im not sure. Im only starting year 12 now, so im sure on a lot of things but if i were you, i'd do what i said. Theres no point sitting at home learning your gcses when all you probably need is a month of hardcore revision. Good luck anyway and hope everything works out^_^
Original post by Punkrockfan
Well, i think you should apply elsewhere and do those a levels but whilst you're in college revise for your gcse science exams and sit them somewhere as an external/private candidate. Then when you have your Gcse grades in your sciences, do them in year 13. You might have to spend another year, but if you dont want to, i guess u can self teach yourself a lot of it and try catching up im not sure. Im only starting year 12 now, so im sure on a lot of things but if i were you, i'd do what i said. Theres no point sitting at home learning your gcses when all you probably need is a month of hardcore revision. Good luck anyway and hope everything works out^_^

Thanks a lot man, I'll definately take this into consideration. Thanks again :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest