The Student Room Group

Is this snobby?

I have a masters degree with a professional job andd I am currently single after just coming out of a long term relationship with a man who had GCSE's and an NVQ as his only academic qualifications.

He lacked motivation, wasn't interested in the same subjects as me, didn't have the same desire for success ,and while his looks attracted me at first, I soon realised there was nothing past a physical attraction but stayed due to social pressure.

This experience has meant I'm really reluctant to date a guy who hasn't got the same level of education as myself.
Although I know loads of people who aren't as formally educated as myself will be nothing like my ex,
It's just put me off and I've found I would now only agree to date or be interested in someone who was also in a professional job, or training to be in one.
It just make the odds much higher that we will be compatible.

Is that really snobby?
Reply 1
Original post by Cressandra
I have a masters degree with a professional job andd I am currently single after just coming out of a long term relationship with a man who had GCSE's and an NVQ as his only academic qualifications.

He lacked motivation, wasn't interested in the same subjects as me, didn't have the same desire for success ,and while his looks attracted me at first, I soon realised there was nothing past a physical attraction but stayed due to social pressure.

This experience has meant I'm really reluctant to date a guy who hasn't got the same level of education as myself.
Although I know loads of people who aren't as formally educated as myself will be nothing like my ex,
It's just put me off and I've found I would now only agree to date or be interested in someone who was also in a professional job, or training to be in one.

Is that really snobby?

Nope, it is perfectly reasonable.

/thread

Is that really snobby?

It's perfectly fine to want a partner who is intelligent and has the same interests as you e.g. in art, film, music, etc.

It would be snobby to pre-judge and write someone off as not being capable of that simply because they don't have a degree. You can be well read, enjoy going to galleries, and so on without having ever gone to university. These are just personal interests and have nothing to do with having a degree.

Similarly, you can have a degree and still be absolutely vapid and ignorant. Some of the boringest people I know have a degree (or several), and still don't know ****.

My advice would be to keep an open mind - don't judge a book by its cover etc etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
It's perfectly fine to want a partner who is intelligent and has the same interests as you e.g. in art, film, music, etc.

It would be snobby to pre-judge and write someone off as not being capable of that simply because they don't have a degree. You can be well read, enjoy going to galleries, and so on without having ever gone to university. These are just personal interests and have nothing to do with having a degree.

Similarly, you can have a degree and still be absolutely vapid and ignorant. Some of the boringest people I know have a degree (or several), and still don't know ****.

My advice would be to keep an open mind - don't judge a book by its cover etc etc.

It's more related to their job. I would only date someone with a professional
Job or training for one. They would need a degree for that.

If they didn't I wouldnt trust they had the same hopes and desires as me.
Reply 4
was he a philistine
Reply 5

Is that really snobby?

I don't think it's snobby. If that's how you feel about things, it's how you feel, and you can't help that.

I know I wouldn't be in a relationship with someone who lacked motivation, if I see it as a long term thing, I'd want to be on the same page as them. You need to have things in common in a relationship.
It's more related to their job. I would only date someone with a professional
Job or training for one. They would need a degree for that.

That has nothing to do with having common interests or goals or "hopes and desires" - you could still get to know a lawyer or an accountant who has absolutely no interest in planning a future together or anything beyond a physical relationship.

If they didn't I wouldnt trust they had the same hopes and desires as me

How about getting to know them first? You might be surprised.
Do you ask them to bring their GCSE certificates on your first date?
Reply 8
Original post by K.C
was he a philistine

No. Haha.
He just didnt know much about the things that I found of interest. And he had not inyerest in findingI out about them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
No. Haha

was he just not interested then
Reply 10
Original post by K.C
was he just not interested then

That's correct. And unmotivated in life. He had no job or money. Just a complete loser to be honest.
Reply 11
That's correct. And unmotivated in life. He had no job or money. Just a complete loser to be honest.

OK.

You're definitely not snobby, though he seems like he definitely needs motivation; there are some people that you can't dedicate your entire time to if they are just unmotivated. It's not fair on you and he's making life hard on himself.

So no, find someone else you can learn from and who you will teach and things you will enjoy together.

*sorry if any of that didn't make sense lel*

Is that really snobby?

I think we sound quite similar, all though I don't have a huge amount of education behind me, I am still very ambitious and have big goals for the future, to the point where I would be willing to do anything to get to where I want to be, I've had this big motivation within the past year now and I've found I've been more choosy about people who I have in my life or about guys who I decide to see. For example, if a guy wants to do the same old thing every day for his life and doesn't want to become succesful, then I'm sorry but me and that guy wouldn't work out, simply because I'm aiming bigger and higher instead of the average living lifestyle. Trust me, motivation & being succesful and being hungry to do well are the most attractive things. I struggle to be attracted to anybody who lacks that.

So no, you're not being snobby at all. You have your standards and you won't settle. Good for you.
Reply 13
Original post by elliemayxo
I think we sound quite similar, all though I don't have a huge amount of education behind me, I am still very ambitious and have big goals for the future, to the point where I would be willing to do anything to get to where I want to be, I've had this big motivation within the past year now and I've found I've been more choosy about people who I have in my life or about guys who I decide to see. For example, if a guy wants to do the same old thing every day for his life and doesn't want to become succesful, then I'm sorry but me and that guy wouldn't work out, simply because I'm aiming bigger and higher instead of the average living lifestyle. Trust me, motivation & being succesful and being hungry to do well are the most attractive things. I struggle to be attracted to anybody who lacks that.

So no, you're not being snobby at all. You have your standards and you won't settle. Good for you.

Thank you for. Glad to see im not the only one.
Reply 14
Original post by K.C
OK.

You're definitely not snobby, though he seems like he definitely needs motivation; there are some people that you can't dedicate your entire time to if they are just unmotivated. It's not fair on you and he's making life hard on himself.

So no, find someone else you can learn from and who you will teach and things you will enjoy together.

*sorry if any of that didn't make sense lel*

Thanks for the reply. It made sense :-)

Is that really snobby?

so out of the 7 billion people in this world, with only a very small percentage of those people having a masters or 'professional job', the one guy you dated has put you off? thats not snobby, its just ridiculously high maintenance, just because he didnt have the exact same life goals as you in an academic context doesnt mean that you have to be reluctant to date someone else like him. jeez everyone is different so just give people a chance

Is that really snobby?

What if someone has a bsc and not a masters? Would you still rule them out as they don’t have a masters?

Quick Reply

Latest