The Student Room Group

Completely lost about A levels. I need help.

Hello everyone, I have been doing A levels for two days now and I'm just so unsure about what direction to go in and what to do. Yesterday I opted to do history on top of my currently chosen subjects of biology, chemistry physics and maths, so I'm doing five at the moment to try and help me decide what to do. As you may have guessed, I chose my subjects wanting to go into science but I started history because I realised that I don't want to do entirely science and maths. I might possibly want to do medicine or engineering but maths in engineering puts me off that slightly and the length of training, devotion it requires and the lack of variety in careers after medicine puts me off that. Also, I don't want to do further maths because I don't want to devote that many A levels to the maths field when I don't particularly enjoy it. History opens a few extra options like law and business which is good I guess because I'm doubting even wanting to do science at all at the moment. I'm doubting everything. I need to make a decision soon so I can drop back to four A levels. I enjoy the sciences fairly equally so far after a couple of lessons in each, and I find maths boring but I feel that I have to do it to not shut off so many options. It's not that I'm not good at school work, I got 10 A*s and an A in English language at gcse last year. I just don't know what to do. I feel so lost and am scared of dropping a science (which I want to do) because it'll close options, but I don't even know anymore if I want to do science at all... I don't want to do physics or maths degrees and I don't like the idea of doing biology or chemistry either to be honest. Please help me ;-( any comments are appreciated and thanks for reading this

Scroll to see replies

Do what you enjoy because it is better to have better grades in something you enjoy than have terrible grades in doing something you feel like you have to do. I would say do History if you're planning on law at least then it gives your subjects more variety.
Reply 2
Original post by funkymonster
Do what you enjoy because it is better to have better grades in something you enjoy than have terrible grades in doing something you feel like you have to do. I would say do History if you're planning on law at least then it gives your subjects more variety.

Thanks for the reply my friend, I think I would enjoy history more because it means that I would have more variety, I'm unsure about which sciences to do at the moment but I guess I have as long to decide as how long I can manage five subjects
Which sciences do you not enjoy?
Reply 4
I enjoy all of them fairly equally, which just makes it so difficult to decide which one to stop
I'm just going to say this: DO WHAT YOU WILL ENJOY.

In the cold winter months when you're huddled over a textbook, which would you rather be doing, history, maths, chemistry, etc?

If you do something you find boring, you won't be able to sustain motivation in it for very long.

Good luck xx
Considering you don't actually NEED to do five subjects, you should really decide which of the sciences you aren't as keen on or which you are weakest at. Physics and Chemistry in particular can be quite challenging at times. I'm not trying to discourage you - if you are ready, able and willing to put in the required effort to excel at all five, then go for it. It really depends on whether you can handle the workload of all those.

Also, doing these subjects will not limit your options in terms of university degrees, if anything they provide a wider range as they are relevant in several fields.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Just repeating what everyone else is saying - do what you enjoy.
And from my personal experiences do not do maths if you feel like you won't dedicate a lot of time to it, especially further maths, as there are A LOT of modules and a lot to revise and you forget formulas and proofs so easily so you will need constant revision.

So do what you like, even if it doesn't lead directly into medicine. If you decide later that you do want to do medicine you still can, it might have to be after an undergraduate degree, which I have a friend doing, but you're not committing yourself to a certain academic future by your A level choices.
Original post by Stoicism
Considering you don't actually NEED to do five subjects, you should really decide which of the sciences you aren't as keen on or which you are weakest at. Physics and Chemistry in particular can be quite challenging at times. I'm not trying to discourage you - if you are ready, able and willing to put in the required effort to excel at all five, then go for it. It really depends on whether you can handle the workload of all those.

Also, doing these subjects will not limit your options in terms of university degrees, if anything they provide a wider range as they are relevant in several fields.
whats harder physics or chem and why
For the record, engineering is a very maths (and physics)-based degree, and you can't study it at uni without doing both of these subjects at A Level (or equivalent). As for the sound of it, you don't enjoy maths an awful lot, so I would recommend you rethink this career plan. However, seeing as you've only been at sixth form for a couple of days, I would say that you should maybe give maths more of a chance. For an example, I found the core modules in maths slightly dull, but extremely enjoyed S1 and M1, the same way that I love physics.

Doing three sciences and maths is very tough in itself, and I would definitely not recommend you do this unless you enjoy all of those subjects, otherwise it'll make revision A LOT harder, therefore it'll be more difficult getting good grades. Like everyone else has said, drop the subject(s) you don't enjoy and keep the ones you do. You still have time to figure out what degree you want to do at university, and it'll become clearer the further you get into your A Levels and you begin to see what topics you enjoy more than others.

Good luck with everything!
If you want to do engineering drop bio and history and take up further maths. If you want to do law drop bio
I did 5 A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Physics and Chemistry and I would say that Biology is the most different of the 5. However, if you don't enjoy maths then maybe you should go down a different route. I originally wanted to do medicine but it didn't have enough maths in it for me. If you want to do medicine then don't need to do maths or physics really. It puts on a lot more pressure as well as they are very difficult A levels. Remember you need AAA or better not AAAAA or AAAA etc so don't add pressure.

In your position and enjoyment, I would do biology, chemistry, (perhaps) maths and then a different subject like history as you mentioned. The thing is physics has a lot of maths in it compared to the other sciences so perhaps you won't enjoy it as much but its up to you really!

It's your life!
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks so much guys for all of your comments, I'll stick with my five subjects for now and then drop the one that I enjoy the least (unless it's maths which I'm going to do anyways), I'll let you know which subjects I go with :-)
You keep worrying that you're closing doors, but what's the point of keeping so many open when you're eventually only going to pick one anyway? Yes you might not be able to do engineering if you don't do Maths, but if you aren't that keen on maths it probably signals you wouldn't be that interested in engineering anyway.

However, because you don't seem sure at the moment, I agree that you should keep on the five for now. When you've studied them for a bit longer you'll probably have a better understanding of which subjects you are struggling with/not liking and you'll have a clearer idea of what to drop. You're going over the requirement for number of A Levels anyway, so it won't be too traumatic to drop 1 AS a bit late.
Original post by youreanutter
whats harder physics or chem and why

I'd personally say Physics, you really need to understand and know how to apply the course material in order to answer exam questions, which a lot of people find trickier than simply memorising and regurgitating information. But that's just my opinion, others may disagree.
Original post by Stoicism
I'd personally say Physics, you really need to understand and know how to apply the course material in order to answer exam questions, which a lot of people find trickier than simply memorising and regurgitating information. But that's just my opinion, others may disagree.

what exam boards
I'm exactly the same...so lost :frown:. It's a lot of pressure to choose 4 subjects which narrow down your life at this age where we barely know what to do it's not fair. I'm in a slightly different position - i know the subjects i like i just hate the teachers and idk what to do.
In your case carry on doing 5 and you'll realize later on. I was going to choose for you but I don't want to do that. You know what you enjoy more than me. Everyone gave you really good advice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey :smile: You seem to be having the same problem i did last year :smile: if your not sure your going to go Medical or science-y jobs then i would suggest taking history and dropping Physics as even if you want to do medicine, maths and physics count the same so you dont need both. An essay subject such as History will leave more doors open for you if you decide (like i did last minute) to do a more essay-ie career. (I went from looking at pathology and psychology to law :P ) If you dislike maths after 2 days you will dislike it more by the end of they year ( i had the same thing) so taking further maths, which is really difficult might not be the best idea. Look at which ones you enjoy, are good at, and keep doors open. that would be my advice. i made the mistake by taking the wrong options and now have to re sit year 12 so if you need any help ill definitely do my best :biggrin: hope this helps!
Original post by tommyprice5
If you want to do engineering drop bio and history and take up further maths. If you want to do law drop bio

Not necessarily! I want to do Law and Bio is my favourite subject! You dont even need to do an English for law. My friends mum is a Law lecturer and i want to do Law. i hear a lot about how it works :smile:
Original post by Paisley99
I'm exactly the same...so lost :frown:. It's a lot of pressure to choose 4 subjects which narrow down your life at this age where we barely know what to do it's not fair. I'm in a slightly different position - i know the subjects i like i just hate the teachers and idk what to do.
In your case carry on doing 5 and you'll realize later on. I was going to choose for you but I don't want to do that. You know what you enjoy more than me. Everyone gave you really good advice.

Hey, i had the same problem with some of the subjects when re sitting year 12. Take the subjects you want to and try them out. My 6th form does a trial period for the first 2 weeks in year 12 so you can see if you like the subjects. Then you can see waht you want to do with it :smile: i went in to 6th form without a clue of what i wanted to do. just pick subjects you enjoy and that you are good at and work out where you want to go after that. also remember you dont need to go straight to uni. my friend has held back a year because he hasn't a clue what to do. Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest