The Student Room Group

Why do we strive to be in a relationship?

What are we as humans doing? As in if we think about it, do we think about why we truly want to be in one? People tend to miss the point of a relationship because they only want sex out of it. Some not, I know that and for different people; they're different things they want out of a relationship. What do you want out of a relationship. If we also think about why do people get into a relationship if they aren't a true partner?

Scroll to see replies

Cause we think that we are lonely and we want to be intimate with someone :colondollar:
No offense, but that isn't coherent.

I think it accords with our nature, a good relationship makes us happy.
Original post by eunicekallo
What are we as humans doing? As in if we think about it, do we think about why we truly want to be in one? People tend to miss the point of a relationship because they only want sex out of it. Some not, I know that and for different people; they're different things they want out of a relationship. What do you want out of a relationship. If we also think about why do people get into a relationship if they aren't a true partner?

What kind of question is that?

It's called nature.

We reproduce by being in a relationship.

How ridiculous.:lol:
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Cause we think that we are lonely and we want to be intimate with someone :colondollar:

I do believe so. :redface:
Trying to maintain our genes and legacy?
Original post by I'm not done!!
What kind of question is that?

It's called nature.

We reproduce by being in a relationship.

How ridiculous.:lol:

Not really lol, we don't have to be in a relationship to reproduce. Can just **** em and leave em.

Its a good question OP, animals do it too - find out why and tell me :biggrin:
We've been brought up in a society that tells us that being in a relationship as an adult is one of the "big 4" (job, motor vehicle, own house, relationship) that instantly increases your social status.
If the end goal of a relationship isn't marriage, or a life-long relationship, then I honestly don't see the point?

Why would I want to get attached to someone just for a couple of months, just for bants?

But that's just me :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by angelcake123
If the end goal of a relationship isn't marriage, or a life-long relationship, then I honestly don't see the point?

Why would I want to get attached to someone just for a couple of months, just for bants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly this :yep: :five:
Couldnt have put it any better
Reply 10
Because it's often fun, because commitment gives security and because you get your oats regularly. Plus if you decide to have kids it's the best parenting, if it works.
Original post by bailfire
Not really lol, we don't have to be in a relationship to reproduce. Can just **** em and leave em.

Its a good question OP, animals do it too - find out why and tell me :biggrin:

Yes, but in our state of nature, babies are really needy, so they need two parents to maximise their chances of survival. Thus our evolutionary instinct is to pair bond. It's subconscious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because they make you happy?
'lad culture'
Reply 13
Because we all at some point want to be loved and because being with someone makes you feel good. True sometimes people do it for the wrong reasons but this doesn't change anything or take away from the people who are together for the right reasons.
Companionship? Societal pressure? It could be a number of things, I suppose.
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Exactly this :yep: :five:
Couldnt have put it any better

:five: it's nice that you agree :smile:

Original post by Mankytoes
Because they make you happy?

Surely there are other things that can make you happy...than a temporary relationship? Wouldn't you rather be with a guy/girl who wants to spend the rest of their life with you, rather than someone who wants to 'see how it goes'? Plus, I don't think you'd be that happy when the temporary relationship ends anyways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So that one day I can tell my kids how I met their mother. :u:

Surely there are other things that can make you happy...than a temporary relationship? Wouldn't you rather be with a guy/girl who wants to spend the rest of their life with you, rather than someone who wants to 'see how it goes'? Plus, I don't think you'd be that happy when the temporary relationship ends anyways.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you can do those things as well, with a person you enjoy being with.

I'm assuming you're talking about people who don't have someone who wants to spend the rest of their life with them. You can't just plan out your whole life, anyway. Live for the day. You'll learn about yourself, and the world.
Some people just want companionship? :dontknow: although I think many people see other couples and with media hype about it, feel they need to be in one to be happy. Ignoring the fact being in a relationship is tough work and will give you headaches. It ain't that fun :lol:
Original post by eunicekallo

The desire to breed is written into your DNA. As the weaker sex, women have also historically needed the protection of a man. Relationships are a social construct born from the historical formation of a pack, aided by the hormonal release of Oxytocin during sex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending