Does being a head girl really have any impact on university course application?

Watch
geniequeen48
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just entered yr 11, first day already was given a head girl form.

So far being a prefect is so boring, I hate it. I am pretty shy, so I thought standing by the door and telling students from other year groups to not do things such as entering a classroom could improve my confidence. It's my job as the prefect btw.

I thought being a prefect would make me do things like helping out year 7s but NOPE!

I'm thinking of quitting to be a prefect because I'm confident my grades will be my advantage of going to the sixth form I want to go to, plus I don't want to go to any of those grammar schools or the really selective ones.

So would being a head girl really do anything to my application for medicine? Do they really care? I guess helping out in evenings and making speeches would be good experience, I'd like that, as long as it doesn't affect my year 11 work.

Also could someone tell me what their experience of being a head girl/boy was like? Like what did you do exactly? How about deputy heads?
geniequeen48
Rep:
?
Bump
stresshead28
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I was head girl last year at my school and I really enjoyed it. I'm not the most confident person but the guy who was head boy was so we kind of balanced each other out? Mainly the role for me involved being a representative of the student body at parents evenings, open evenings etc... I also helped with the yearbook and organising the prom which was so fun! I don't know if it does affect your university applications because I'm not at that stage yet (but I definitely hope it does!) but it was also just great to have some responsibility and I didn't find it affected my Y11 work that much. In terms of applying for medicine, most places require you to have an interview so the role should hopefully improve your confidence and public speaking skills (I found it did anyway) as well as giving you something else to talk about. Hope that helps?
Hoping to apply for medicine as well btw...
Physflop
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope it will barely make any difference to your application! But it might increase your skills like public speaking and make you better in interview, as well as making you more organised. But anyway, our head girl flopped her A levels in the end and didn't go to uni, so, if you are just a normal person and not head anything you might do better at studying!
Mentally
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
sht, never knew u were in year 11. plz ignore my comment
geniequeen48
Rep:
?
(Original post by stresshead28)
x.
(Original post by Physflop)
x
Ahh right, that's great stuff thanks! So what does a deputy head girl/boy do?
geniequeen48
Rep:
?
Anyone know what a deputy head boy/girl does?
username986184
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by geniequeen48)
Anyone know what a deputy head boy/girl does?
Def do not go for head girl. Or any other time consuming position if you want medicine.

typical offer for medicine might be three grade A at A2; two grade A + one B + head girl means rejection.

A few years ago one of my students asked if I thought she should go for head girl as she also wanted to apply for dentistry. I told her to chose between dentistry and head girl as she could not do both IMO. She chose head girl and is studying biochemistry.
Rhetorical Hips
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
x
Whether it makes a difference will depend on the medical school you apply to, how much you talk about it in your personal statement and whether it comes up in the interview.

I'm biased against it because I didn't go for any head boy or even prefect roles myself. I think that while these sorts of things certainly look good on your personal statement, it's definitely not compulsory. If you really don't like the idea of doing it then don't.

There's also the fact that being head girl will take up a fair amount of your time which could be better spent studying or improving your application in some other way, or preparing for interviews, etc.
geniequeen48
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rhetorical Hips)
x
Oh okay, thank you. I made up my decision, I'm going to quit being a prefect all together since it just wastes my time.
Rhetorical Hips
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh okay, thank you. I made up my decision, I'm going to quit being a prefect all together since it just wastes my time.
just make sure you use the time gained wisely!
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is some absolute tripe in this thread.

If you can't balance getting AAA at A-Level with a minor extracurricular activities you really need to review your ability for time management. You shouldn't need to pick between hobbies and medicine, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If anything, all work and no play does not make a successful applicant. Your personal statement needs to display loads of skills that you can't show if you don't do extracurricular activities, and you simply won't get in without them. Everybody and their dog has AAA at A-Level and this is not enough to differentiate you or to show leadership, teamwork, communication etc. skills. That's not to mention the fact you'd drive yourself mad if you have no hobbies and work 24/7. You don't need to let preparing for interviews or whatever take up literally every waking moment.

As for the original question, any position of power (as head girl/boy/prefect is) is an excellent way to display the previously mentioned skills and will definitely be a positive for a medical school application. It also will improve your ability to communicate and improve your confidence (but this won't happen over night!). If you have no other positions where you can show and develop these skills, I'd strongly advise against giving it up.
geniequeen48
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beska)
There is some absolute tripe in this thread.

If you can't balance getting AAA at A-Level with a minor extracurricular activities you really need to review your ability for time management. You shouldn't need to pick between hobbies and medicine, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If anything, all work and no play does not make a successful applicant. Your personal statement needs to display loads of skills that you can't show if you don't do extracurricular activities, and you simply won't get in without them. Everybody and their dog has AAA at A-Level and this is not enough to differentiate you or to show leadership, teamwork, communication etc. skills. That's not to mention the fact you'd drive yourself mad if you have no hobbies and work 24/7. You don't need to let preparing for interviews or whatever take up literally every waking moment.

As for the original question, any position of power (as head girl/boy/prefect is) is an excellent way to display the previously mentioned skills and will definitely be a positive for a medical school application. It also will improve your ability to communicate and improve your confidence (but this won't happen over night!). If you have no other positions where you can show and develop these skills, I'd strongly advise against giving it up.
I see, the reason why I'm quitting is because I have other plans. However, due to your response, I will sign up for head girl, and if I'm chosen then, I guess I better get on with the job. If I'm not chosen, oh well.

Unfortunately the first step to being head girl is to be voted by other students, and I'm not the most popular girl so I wouldn't get my hopes to high.
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I see, the reason why I'm quitting is because I have other plans. However, due to your response, I will sign up for head girl, and if I'm chosen then, I guess I better get on with the job. If I'm not chosen, oh well.

Unfortunately the first step to being head girl is to be voted by other students, and I'm not the most popular girl so I wouldn't get my hopes to high.
If you have other plans that's fine - it's your life and you shouldn't just do loads of stuff focused on getting yourself into medicine if it makes you miserable. Some sacrifice is needed though! Be that you lose some TV time because you're having to spend extra time being a prefect after school, or having to study instead of going to the city with your friends, or whatever. At the least I would maintain your position as a prefect - it's a really high yield position in terms of displaying skills for not much time investment. You will kick yourself for giving it up. As for the head girl - you might as well try for it (what have you got to lose?) and being in that sort of position will give you a lot of experience. What other plans did you have?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.5%
I'm not sure (51)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.36%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.02%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.58%

Watched Threads