Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did this exam earlier today, and thought it was IMPOSSIBLE!!

Does anyone know where i can get a copy of it to go over it at home to see where i went wrong!

The paper was Edexcel Maths Specification A Higher Tier Paper 5 (non-calculator), and it was sat today (Tuesday 8th June pm).

If anyone knows where i can get the questions (and answers if possible!) for free or for a price, could you please post here, or email me ASAP on [email protected]

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdeez88)

Does anyone know where i can get a copy of it to go over it at home to see where i went wrong!

The paper was Edexcel Maths Specification A Higher Tier Paper 5 (non-calculator), and it was sat today (Tuesday 8th June pm).

If anyone knows where i can get the questions (and answers if possible!) for free or for a price, could you please post here, or email me ASAP on [email protected]

Thanks!
    I did it too, it was terrible! I'm glad I wasn't the only one that found it hard Did you revise lots for it?

ReputationRep:
    Can you remember any of the questions? Maybe I could help.

ReputationRep:
    I did the AQA paper and things wern't any better! Some questions were ok, some i could have cried about because they were so impossible! I really hope the calculator paper is easier! I just wanna pass now, the A* isnt my main concern any more!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mat666)
    Can you remember any of the questions? Maybe I could help.
    cant remember loads, but sum i can. nt sure word 4 word, but u get the idea:

13*17=220
    what is 1.3*1.7?
    what is 2200/17?

using 2n(sq)+19n+37 (somethin like tht) prove that the probabilithy of picking a white ball is 4/9

thts all i can remember!
    i'll hav a think about the others
    how can u help?

jdeez

ReputationRep:
    13*17 = 221

So, 1.3*1.7 is going to be two decimal places lower, hece 2.21

2210/17

we know 221/17 = 13

extra 0 (it's ten times bigger, so answer will be ten times bigger)

so 2210/17 = 130

ReputationRep:
    13*17 = 221

So, 1.3*1.7 is going to be two decimal places lower, hece 2.21

2210/17

we know 221/17 = 13

extra 0 (it's ten times bigger, so answer will be ten times bigger)

so 2210/17 = 130
    i could do those ones - they're easy, it was the ones towards the end ( graphs, probablilty )

we have been taught everything that appeared in the exam, just not to that advanced level (and i'm one of the top pupils in the top set!)

ReputationRep:
    You may find that you still got a high grade. My GCSE test was a shocker, and I thought I'd failed it big tme cos id skipped two questions, and I came out with an a*. You never know, if it is really hard, and everyone does not-so-well, they'll bring the grade boundaries down.

ReputationRep:
    I'd give it a 7/10. That's not to say it was easy and I'll get an A*. But I've done worse, I expect I'll get a B grade.

ReputationRep:
    You may find that you still got a high grade. My GCSE test was a shocker, and I thought I'd failed it big tme cos id skipped two questions, and I came out with an a*. You never know, if it is really hard, and everyone does not-so-well, they'll bring the grade boundaries down.
    people hav told me that they may lower the grade boundries, but is this true? bcos i havnt heard this from a teacher, only from other people who don't think they've done too well.

ReputationRep:
    It's true as far as i know

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted an A* but after that exam I'll be lucky to get an A/B, btw I found one question really weird:

it had an equation with brackets and we had to factorise it! isn't that putting brackets in? I was like wtf?!

My teacher hadn't covered material on at least half the paper
    :mad:

ReputationRep:
    If the algebra in the brackets was x^2 or anything like that, you could have probably factorised it further. If not, then it does seem an odd question...

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    IMPOSSIBLE !! is the word!

i don't know why they have to keep putting algebra into questions!
    like the one about probability,
    how to take nice simple straight forward probability (which can give u loads of marks) and make it as difficult as possible.
    i wish they would just stick to simple adding and taking
    soooo glad i am droping it next year.

Hope the Calc one is better!
    Olly

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody really struggle with that bloody "Drums" question?!

I think I got 9 at a random guess, it really confused me

ReputationRep:
    i didnt do a question about drums (hope i didnt miss it out!) but i remember that factorising the thing thts already in brackets

it was something like
    (p-q)^2+5(p-q)

how do you factorise tht?
    i put something strange like (p-q)[(p-q)+5]

jdeez

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkly_tiara)
    I did the AQA paper and things wern't any better! Some questions were ok, some i could have cried about because they were so impossible! I really hope the calculator paper is easier! I just wanna pass now, the A* isnt my main concern any more!

Lou
    xxx
    i agree. it was a stinker

ReputationRep:
    i didnt do a question about drums (hope i didnt miss it out!) but i remember that factorising the thing thts already in brackets

it was something like
    (p-q)^2+5(p-q)

how do you factorise tht?
    i put something strange like (p-q)[(p-q)+5]

jdeez
    Noo, it wasn't that complicated?

It was a LCM question. Which took me a bit to figure out!

2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20
    5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40
    8 16 24 32 40

So it's 40.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnt)
    Did anybody really struggle with that bloody "Drums" question?!

I think I got 9 at a random guess, it really confused me
    tht was on the aqa paper that i did. it was just to find the lowest possible number that 2, 5, and 8 would go into which is 40. i couldnt do the one with pythagorus theory! how embarssing! i know how it works n iv never had a problem before but tht just threw me!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heather2)
    tht was on the aqa paper that i did. it was just to find the lowest possible number that 2, 5, and 8 would go into which is 40. i couldnt do the one with pythagorus theory! how embarssing! i know how it works n iv never had a problem before but tht just threw me!
    xxx
    Did you use tan for the angle question of those triangles?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 9, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.