The Student Room Group

Why don't we interfere with ISIS by fighting them?

This may seem like a dumb question or has probably been asked before but why don't we just go to war with ISIS? As well as having the USA on our side.

ISIS is clearly terrorising, killing and raping innocent people and destroying cultural heritages, expanding their army by getting loads of girls and women pregnant, surely we should be fighting them to stop them before it gets even more out of hand and they start taking over other countries?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
History shows that fighting terrorists on their own turf doesn't always work out well.

Not only are they incredibly experienced in fighting in their own terrain, but they are also making a lot of money through things like selling stolen treasures, hence, have a weaponry collection better than people think.

It's not as simple as saying you will go to war. Plans need to be made, you need to make them weaker before you strike. Cut off their supplies, e.g. I'm pretty sure that Turkey stopped the flow of one of their dams a couple of months back so that part of ISIS territory is no longer getting the water supplies flowing through.

You also have to think of how the neighbouring countries will react if a war came to their country.
Original post by DominicRCWC
This may seem like a dumb question or has probably been asked before but why don't we just go to war with ISIS? As well as having the USA on our side.

ISIS is clearly terrorising, killing and raping innocent people and destroying cultural heritages, expanding their army by getting loads of girls and women pregnant, surely we should be fighting them to stop them before it gets even more out of hand and they start taking over other countries?

We are technically at war with them since we're taking part in airstrikes. As for a ground intervention, well, there's simply no public appetite for it. People don't want to see another long and expensive war in the Middle East. Of course, short-term economical considerations might very well come back and bite us on the ass but you can't really reason with the voting public. They're quite unintelligent. Most of them anyway.
Reply 3
We lack the resolve quite simply.
Because the last major war that the UK/US got involved with in the region went really well, didn't it?

But honestly, I think they will eventually have to put troops on the ground.
UN chapter 7 peace enforcement. Now.

Except no country wants to commit ground troops.

Give the PKK the guns to do the job and to hell with Turkey.
(edited 8 years ago)
Look at Vietnam. It was guerilla warfare their, be a similar case here + what happened in Iraq...
Because western ground troops gives ISIS exactly the war they want. Fighting against western troops gives them huge propaganda potential. That's why our course of action so far is to find other local ground forces to do the fighting for us, and then support them with air strikes.
Original post by DominicRCWC

Because that's what they want.

Muslims automatically get offended by any non Muslim fighting Muslims.
Reply 9
Original post by MatureStudent36
Because that's what they want.

Muslims automatically get offended by any non Muslim fighting Muslims.

So the Muslims fighting alongside the non-Muslims are also offended?
Original post by Errm16
So the Muslims fighting alongside the non-Muslims are also offended?

No. Our Muslim community will believe that their host community is slaughtering its fellow Muslims.

I'd rather we not fight Isis. If the people of the Middle East are so scared of Isis I'd prefer to let them do the fighting.
If western countries deploy troops the people moan.
Reply 12
Original post by MatureStudent36
No. Our Muslim community will believe that their host community is slaughtering its fellow Muslims.

I'd rather we not fight Isis. If the people of the Middle East are so scared of Isis I'd prefer to let them do the fighting.

But then how would we do business with the Middle East? How will we propagate our human rights and democracy? How will we be able to sell our wares in the Middle East, to turn it into a consumerist society so that we can afford to keep up our own expected standard of living?
Original post by Historyfrenchfan
The same reason why you wouldn't kill your own child op, you wouldnt destroy your own creation would you? Isis is a cia/mossad creation used in order to spread hatred to muslims. Dont believe me? Research it yourself, the original founder of isis was a jew.No im not a muslim, i dont follow any particular relgion because it is used to create divisions and hatred. The russians are currently fighting isis which will cause the start of ww3 because isis are cia backed. Ive said as much as im allowed to disclose for now.

Illuminati confirmed.
USA are on ISIS's side
Reply 15
One thing is that we simply cannot realistically defeat ISIL in any meaningful way, unless we were to stick around indefinitely.

It's not like Iraq - waltz in, capture the local headman and watch the state fall - it's far more volatile. But in the end, the same issues may well apply: the same fighters will rebrand themselves, or someone else will fill a power vacuum.

Ideally what we should be doing is arming the governments whose territory ISIL is on, who can maintain long-term control of their territory if it is captured. Unfortunately in many cases, they're not the sort of people we want much to do with.
The same reason why you wouldn't kill your own child op, you wouldnt destroy your own creation would you? Isis is a cia/mossad creation used in order to spread hatred to muslims. Dont believe me? Research it yourself, the original founder of isis was a jew.No im not a muslim, i dont follow any particular relgion because it is used to create divisions and hatred. The russians are currently fighting isis which will cause the start of ww3 because isis are cia backed. Ive said as much as im allowed to disclose for now.

lol
Reply 17
Original post by L i b
One thing is that we simply cannot realistically defeat ISIL in any meaningful way, unless we were to stick around indefinitely.

It's not like Iraq - waltz in, capture the local headman and watch the state fall - it's far more volatile. But in the end, the same issues may well apply: the same fighters will rebrand themselves, or someone else will fill a power vacuum.

Ideally what we should be doing is arming the governments whose territory ISIL is on, who can maintain long-term control of their territory if it is captured. Unfortunately in many cases, they're not the sort of people we want much to do with.

That's a ridiculous suggestion. We should simply stop arming the Middle East.

IS will only loot the weapons.
Reply 18
The reason the west hasn't interfere totally is because the middle east is very violtile and complex place, as we can see Western intervention in the past hasn't always worked so the west don't want to get completely involved because they would get the blame.

Anothet reason is the geopolitics of the middle east because some of those nations are allies with Russia and China, plus the war is very complex now as its a 5 sided war which the sides are: Assad's regime, Free syrian army, ISIS, Nato's bombing campaign, and the Persmerga(Kurdish) but don't forget the al nusra front which I think is on no one side.

And from I heard online is that ISIS and Al aqdea are separate as both have declared war on each other, so it is very complex. However I can see western intervention taking place in the near future, if not then total war right on the doorstep.
(edited 8 years ago)

None of this is true. ISIS was founded by Islamist extremists, and there is no credible evidence of the "USA supports and created ISIS" conspiracy theory. None whatsoever.

Original post by KittyRe-playⅧ
USA are on ISIS's side

The USA is involved in a bombing campaign against them which has caused them to lose ground on quite a few fronts. So no, they're not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending