Top 12 richest US universities Watch

Ali1302
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Here are the top 12 richest us universities by endowment fund(excluding systems):
Harvard University-$35.883 billion
Yale University-$23.9 billion
Stanford University-$24.446 billion
Princeton University-$20.996 billion
MIT-$12.425 billion
Northwestern University-$10.5 billion
University of Michigan-$10.05 billion
University of Notre Dame-$9.8 billion
University of Pennsylvania-$9.6 billion
Columbia University-$9.223 billion
University of Chicago-$7.5 billion
Duke University-$7 billion

As of June 2014
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you for your 15 month old data with no discussion point. Please excuse me while I do nothing with this information.
Lovinlife2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

I think you should now go make a thread on the top 12 richest UK universities then move on to the EU because people don't have Google to search it up themselves.
Ali1302
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lovinlife2)
:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

I think you should now go make a thread on the top 12 richest UK universities then move on to the EU because people don't have Google to search it up themselves.
You can't always find all the figures via google. Plus most people wouldn't bother searching. I also set up the wiki pages for UK and European university endowments that rarely get updated.
AmateurMathsGeek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
Thank you for your 15 month old data with no discussion point. Please excuse me while I do nothing with this information.
Man i love you, you live and comment by your name 😂😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
NYU℠
Badges: 20
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ali1302)
x
Firstly, I don't understand the point of this list. Endowment alone isn't very useful as a metric for anything.

Secondly:

North Western University
Northwestern is one word: Northwestern University

University of Columbia
Shorthand it's called Columbia, the more formal name is Columbia University and the full name is Columbia University in the City of New York. There is no University of Columbia.
Ali1302
Rep:
?
(Original post by NYU2012)
Firstly, I don't understand the point of this list. Endowment alone isn't very useful as a metric for anything.

Secondly:

Northwestern is one word: Northwestern University

Shorthand it's called Columbia, the more formal name is Columbia University and the full name is Columbia University in the City of New York. There is no University of Columbia.
Thanks, the list has been edited with those changes. On your other point, usually universities with big endowment fund tend to be along the very best in the united states and it counts as a measure of prestige I'm thinking of adding endowment per student too.
NYU℠
Report 3 years ago
Thanks, the list has been edited with those changes. On your other point, usually universities with big endowment fund tend to be along the very best in the united states and it counts as a measure of prestige I'm thinking of adding endowment per student too.
Size of endowment isn't a measurement of prestige. It's merely an indicator of how much money a particular school has. For example, the reason Emory excelled into a top 20 position (though it has now been kicked out of the top 20 by UC-Berkeley) is because Coca-Cola donated massive amounts of money to Emory. Emory's prestige was the result of an ability to attract better students and professors. At best, endowment is a correlation relationship which may or may not evidence prestige.

Endowment per student is much a better correlation relationship but, again, it doesn't mean much on its own.
Ali1302
Rep:
?
(Original post by NYU2012)
Size of endowment isn't a measurement of prestige. It's merely an indicator of how much money a particular school has. For example, the reason Emory excelled into a top 20 position (though it has now been kicked out of the top 20 by UC-Berkeley) is because Coca-Cola donated massive amounts of money to Emory. Emory's prestige was the result of an ability to attract better students and professors. At best, endowment is a correlation relationship which may or may not evidence prestige.

Endowment per student is much a better correlation relationship but, again, it doesn't mean much on its own.
Almost all the universities I've listed are among the top 20 us schools, receive the highest research funds, are super selective, are major brand names. Money matters a huge endowment gives an institution a tremendous amount of freedom to operate. What's amazing is the rate of growth of these institution in terms of endowment. Soon Harvard could be worth $100 billion. If your your that rich your making it tough for your competition to keep up, don't get me wrong UC Berkeley and UCLA are major research unis with great reputations but there is no way they can keep up with these big boys. The only issue with ivies is their refusal to expand in terms of student number so as to minimize their acceptance rate and maintain their elite reputations.
mathplustutornj
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Columbia University was originally called Kings College. The reason for the change is obvious.

This may sound cynical, but a lot of where the huge endowments come from is wealthy parents buying admissions.
NYU℠
Report 3 years ago
Almost all the universities I've listed are among the top 20 us schools, receive the highest research funds, are super selective, are major brand names. Money matters a huge endowment gives an institution a tremendous amount of freedom to operate. What's amazing is the rate of growth of these institution in terms of endowment. Soon Harvard could be worth $100 billion. If your your that rich your making it tough for your competition to keep up, don't get me wrong UC Berkeley and UCLA are major research unis with great reputations but there is no way they can keep up with these big boys. The only issue with ivies is their refusal to expand in terms of student number so as to minimize their acceptance rate and maintain their elite reputations.
Berkeley, particularly in the US, and especially for grad school, is considered on par with the most elite universities in the country. In virtually every program Berkeley is within the top 10.

Again, money on its own doesn't matter. You're trying to argue what is effectively correlation equals causation - the problem is, of course, that it doesn't. There are far more useful metrics than endowments.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%