Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE English (AQA) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Theres one comming up on the 10th June. which is very soon. Anyone know what topics going to be in it? Is it anthology/creative writing or what????? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasons61)
    Theres one comming up on the 10th June. which is very soon. Anyone know what topics going to be in it? Is it anthology/creative writing or what????? :confused:
    For English Language - isn't it just a creative writing paper (out of 54 I think) and your speaking and listening mark (40% of overall grade) which form the grade?

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing AQA spec A then June 10th = reading response tasks to non-fiction/media texts and writing to argue/persuade/advise then paper 2 is poetry from other cultures and writing to describe/inform/explain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    For English Language - isn't it just a creative writing paper (out of 54 I think) and your speaking and listening mark (40% of overall grade) which form the grade?
    i thought there is no listening and speaking exams for english. if there is wat about it and is it harder thatn writing??

ReputationRep:
    isn't speaking and listening just assessed along with your coursework? we did an oral exam ages ago but other than that definitely don't have an exam in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skyblue Pink)
    isn't speaking and listening just assessed along with your coursework? we did an oral exam ages ago but other than that definitely don't have an exam in it.
    i dont fink so. i have even asked some friend, who is now in year 11,finishing gcses. she has done her english exam. She told me that there was no any writng and listening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skyblue Pink)
    Sorry for confusing you - yeah S+L is assessed with your coursework.

The point I was trying to make is that the Lang exam paper, to my knowledge, was just creative writing and the analysis of some articles (well it was when I did it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazzyaa911)
    i got an A in gcse language, let me give you some hints

when it talks about presentation:
    say things along the lines of

Headlines; the use of bold lettering makes the headline dramatic and eye catching

Different sorts of print; often it'll use different types of print and font styles to draw attention to a particular audience - if its written in hand writing it'll give it a more personal approach

and if it includes logos; this will give it a visual image so that you can identify them easily whenever you see them

photos/pics; say things like " these photographs have a powerful impact on the reader....... well its true,...... most articles ( personally ) i look at the picture before reading it..

also talk about language used i.e. if there is a question " are you smart? " it gives the reader something to think about

if it has alliteration, and those *****y littly devices, mention them
    tnx for hints. i m very worried about my english exam, the only subjet in which i cant get more than B, as its not my 1st lang.lol

ReputationRep:
    thanks for hints. so what is EXACTLY JUST in the paper on June 10th?????

ReputationRep:
    Our teacher reckons they're going to be hot on audience this year with both reading and writing questions. i.e does the author uses technical jargon to try to impress/appeal to the snobbish instict in people, particularly in adverts?
    The use of pictures, large fonts, small paragraphs to make the information more appealing to young children.
    The use of informal language/slang and humour to target the article at teenagers.

And also the mixture of fact and opinion - even in pieces which don't appear to be biased - look for where persuasive techniques which present opinion as fact are used.

ReputationRep:
    good luck.......

you compare two or three texts ( section a ) .... and then you freestyle write, describing or explaining something ( Section B )

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.