The Student Room Group

A-Level Further Maths worries!?!

I have selected to do further maths for as level but I wondering how intense is the work load, considering my modules are FP1-FP3 M2-M3 D1 on top of M1, S1 and C1-C4 for a level maths. I'm worried that doing a level further maths will distract me from my other subject which are biology, chemistry and normal maths. I end up wanting to study medicine at uni and don't want to have to spend more of my time at further maths than I would be spending on biology and chemistry, as these are the subjects that are essential. I will need high grades, so around 2A* and 2A in my A2's in order to do my desired uni course and so would I be better doing physics to help me achieve these grades? ANY ADVICE would be appreciated as I need to decide in 2 days or else it's unlikely I'll be able to change. thanks in advance
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Garrison30
I have selected to do further maths for as level but I wondering how intense is the work load, considering my modules are FP1-FP3 M2-M3 D1 on top of M1, S1 and C1-C4 for a level maths. I'm worried that doing a level further maths will distract me from my other subject which are biology, chemistry and normal maths. I end up wanting to study medicine at uni and don't want to have to spend more of my time at further maths than I would be spending on biology and chemistry, as these are the subjects that are essential. I will need high grades, so around 2A* and 2A in my A2's in order to do my desired uni course and so would I be better doing physics to help me achieve these grades? ANY ADVICE would be appreciated as I need to decide in 2 days or else it's unlikely I'll be able to change. thanks in advance

Hah, those are the exact same units that I took. Out of those units, I thought most were fine but three were very tough - FP2, FP3 and M3 - and FP3 in particular was grueling. The problem is that there isn't really any way of knowing for certain how difficult you'll find them when you've literally just started Year 12, so it's a very difficult thing to judge. How good would you say you are at Maths? If you're confident that you're a good Mathematician and you're finding C1 manageable then I think it's worth a go. If not, perhaps it is worth switching to Physics or just doing AS Further Maths (which isn't too hard in my view, only A2 Further Maths is monstrous). Honestly I don't know, it's an extremely difficult question to answer. Have you asked your teachers?
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
Hah, those are the exact same units that I took. Out of those units, I thought most were fine but three were very tough - FP2, FP3 and M3 - and FP3 in particular was grueling. The problem is that there isn't really any way of knowing for certain how difficult you'll find them when you've literally just started Year 12, so it's a very difficult thing to judge. How good would you say you are at Maths? If you're confident that you're a good Mathematician and you're finding C1 manageable then I think it's worth a go. If not, perhaps it is worth switching to Physics or just doing AS Further Maths (which isn't too hard in my view, only A2 Further Maths is monstrous). Honestly I don't know, it's an extremely difficult question to answer. Have you asked your teachers?

I still need to verify the modules that I am doing however I am pretty sure that I'm doing those ones. I got 97% in the pure maths section of my further maths gcse but I only managed 82% in the mechanics and statistics section this gives me some doubts about the M2 and M3 modules as I've heard that they are quite difficult. What do you think? These marks however still worked out as an A*. But my prime concern is the amount of time I would need to dedicate to the entire a level and would that detract from my other more essential subjects. ANY ADVICE on the intensity of the full a level course would be much appreciated as I'm torn on this decision.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest