The Student Room Group

Another a-level or EPQ?

Hi,

I'm a mature student.

I intend to study medicine at university. Therefore I need chemistry and biology a-level.

Last year I began that journey, and did as-level human biology and got an A. I didn't do any other as-levels because the college I studied at didn't have a-level chemistry course, but I was promised one would start this new academic year, so decided to become full-time this year. I applied to do chemistry and psychology this year, along with finishing my human biology a-level. I was told by the college that chemistry was still going ahead numerous times. Until yesterday - they're cancelling chemistry until next-year - apparently they can almost 100% guarantee it will be on next year, as they're starting a new science BTEC that needs chemistry.

I'm extremely disappointed. And as I need to finish off my human biology a-level (which isn't elsewhere), and as finding colleges that do A-levels for mature students is like finding hen's teeth - I don't have much of a choice.

I have discussed doing chemistry A-level in one year, next year, and the college think I might be able to do this. I'm terrified I might have to spend an extra year at college - as a mature student, each year just makes me older and all the more difficult.

But I don't know what to do along my human biology and psychology now. The college has suggested I do an EPQ which they will support me doing. My other option is as-level mathematics - which although I'm good at maths, I fear timed examinations and maths (I'm slow and meticulous).

Has anyone any experience of an EPQ? I need to know exactly what doing it entails. Also, is it worth it? What was it like?

Has anyone any other options to suggest? I'm open.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest