methers840
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
Just taken my ASs and came out with lower grades than expected in maths. School have asked me to drop maths and continue with DT Geography and Physics, which they think i stand the best chance of getting good grades in. They then suggested that i retake the AS maths module i did badly in at the end of the year and just come out with an AS maths but at a higher grade than i currently do. i am predicted AAB with the other 3. Do you know of any uni courses in Mech Eng that offer with just an AS in maths. I know Harper Adams do but not sure about any others.
Thanks in advance!
a10
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by methers840)
Hi,
Just taken my ASs and came out with lower grades than expected in maths. School have asked me to drop maths and continue with DT Geography and Physics, which they think i stand the best chance of getting good grades in. They then suggested that i retake the AS maths module i did badly in at the end of the year and just come out with an AS maths but at a higher grade than i currently do. i am predicted AAB with the other 3. Do you know of any uni courses in Mech Eng that offer with just an AS in maths. I know Harper Adams do but not sure about any others.
Thanks in advance!
It is quite unlikely for you to be admitted onto an engineering course (BEng or MEng) without A-level maths. It is a must.

You will have to either retake it and do A2 or you'll have to do a foundation year to get your mathematics up to par.
chloeap
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's not the universities putting an unnecessary barrier in either...
You will struggle with any engineering course without A-Level maths. I'd discuss with your school your options - where the grades you got surprisingly low (ie. you did better in mocks throughout the year) because if so resitting and taking A-Level maths while dropping one of the others might be your best bet. If they are low but expected you may have to look at doing a foundation year after you leave before you go to university.
methers840
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks! If i were to take a foundation year, do i then have to do the course at that same uni or can you change? Or does it depend on which uni you go to?
Harper Adams University
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by methers840)
Thanks! If i were to take a foundation year, do i then have to do the course at that same uni or can you change? Or does it depend on which uni you go to?
Hi, Our Mech Eng course will accept you with AS maths as along as you get a science A-level, so your physics option would help you there.

Another route might be to do a Foundation year (Year 0 or Exended Foundation Degree Programme as we call it) at university this year - which would include modules in Maths, ICT and engineering to prepare you for degree-level study.

If you would like to discuss this option, and get some general advice to help you move forward, please ring our admissions team on 01952 815000. We are also hosting open days in September, October and November

http://www.harper-adams.ac.uk/events...gistration.cfm

Good luck!

Jac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.6%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (798)
42.09%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.83%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.48%

Watched Threads