The Student Room Group

HELP ME PLEASE :( What Uni???

Not sure if Arts and Humanities is the best place to put this but i couldn't find anything more suitable for Graphic/Product Design

I have just started my last year of A-Levels (A2). UCAS applications are due soon and I feel like I've started an early mid-life crisis. I have a vague Idea of what I want to do in Uni. I quite like the idea of either Product Design or Graphic Design. Possibly something IT related. Honestly I feel like I will enjoy Graphic Design more but I feel like Product/Industrial Design will look better from an employer's perspective.

I know I'm sort of going off the point here but I would ultimately like to work for a large technology based company. Such as Samsung, Apple, Google etc.. (I can dream) Hopefully to be a part of their creative design team.

I received AAAB for my AS Levels in Product Design, Business Studies, ICT and History. I am on track, and feel confident in getting A*,A*,A for my A2's. Decided to drop History after AS as I feel it's not very relevant, it was my worst grade (was only a few marks off an A) and I very much dislike the subject.

Now, more to the point - I have no clue what University to go to. I live in South Wales, I have no problems with moving to a Uni anywhere in the UK so that's not the issue. I just want to go to the best Uni I possibly can, that reflects best on me when I hopefully go to apply for a Job after my Degree. My first choice at the minute is Loughborough as the Uni looks great and does well on Art & Design Uni rankings. But any alternative recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. My school no longer has a careers advisor so I don't really have anybody to talk to.

Also, the R&D and Design Department that I worked with during work experience told me that when applying for design roles, the certain Uni you went to is a massive factor. I just want to make the right choices and not limit my career path before I have even started University.
Original post by JHafodJ
Not sure if Arts and Humanities is the best place to put this but i couldn't find anything more suitable for Graphic/Product Design

I have just started my last year of A-Levels (A2). UCAS applications are due soon and I feel like I've started an early mid-life crisis. I have a vague Idea of what I want to do in Uni. I quite like the idea of either Product Design or Graphic Design. Possibly something IT related. Honestly I feel like I will enjoy Graphic Design more but I feel like Product/Industrial Design will look better from an employer's perspective.

I know I'm sort of going off the point here but I would ultimately like to work for a large technology based company. Such as Samsung, Apple, Google etc.. (I can dream) Hopefully to be a part of their creative design team.

I received AAAB for my AS Levels in Product Design, Business Studies, ICT and History. I am on track, and feel confident in getting A*,A*,A for my A2's. Decided to drop History after AS as I feel it's not very relevant, it was my worst grade (was only a few marks off an A) and I very much dislike the subject.

Now, more to the point - I have no clue what University to go to. I live in South Wales, I have no problems with moving to a Uni anywhere in the UK so that's not the issue. I just want to go to the best Uni I possibly can, that reflects best on me when I hopefully go to apply for a Job after my Degree. My first choice at the minute is Loughborough as the Uni looks great and does well on Art & Design Uni rankings. But any alternative recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. My school no longer has a careers advisor so I don't really have anybody to talk to.

Also, the R&D and Design Department that I worked with during work experience told me that when applying for design roles, the certain Uni you went to is a massive factor. I just want to make the right choices and not limit my career path before I have even started University.

Hey I live in South Wales too and had this problem when I was deciding which university to go to 3 years ago!

When I was in the process of applying for my top 5 choices I picked 5 that were out of Wales as I was adamant I wanted to move away.

When my offers came back I was accepted into all 5, which made the whole decision process even harder! 3 of the university I had applied for were in London and they were really impressive uni's, I couldn't believe that they had chosen me and declined many of my friends offers!

My friends thought I was out of my mind when I turned all of the London offers down and accepted to study at De Montfort University in Leicester (which also offer amazing graphics courses I believe). For me it wasn't all about going to the most 'impressive' uni, there's a number of factors you need to weigh up. London seemed too out of my comfort zone, I would've had to travel 40 minutes to campus every day and the living costs out there were too expensive. I chose De Montfort because I loved the look of the campus, all of the student halls were within walking distance of class, the nightlife seemed great, it wasn't as far from home as London etc.

Though, a year into my course and I hated it! Purely because I thought the other students on my course were dumb as F*** and I felt like I was wasting my money and time learning things I already knew. I dropped out. I waited until the following September and started a Business Management & Marketing course in the University of South Wales. At first, I was worried that people would laugh at me because people sniggered that it was for dumb people bla bla. It turns out, the university is really well known and respected for Business students, the resources there are amazing! I've saved money from living in halls and have apartment shared with my friend and our place is so so nice. My friends always question how I can afford to live there, but what they don't know is it has actually worked out cheaper than student accommodation ha! Student accommodation definitely over charge! Anyway, the point is, I am in a much better situation now. I used to hate Wales until I moved away. Now I love going to a university local to me (about 25 minute drive). Because I am happier, my work effort is higher and I am doing better in my studies which is something people always overlook. If you're studying somewhere but you aren't happy, you're lacking the social aspect etc, it will reflect in your work.

Basically the best piece of advice I can give anyone choosing a university is.. Don't just look at how respected or well-known the university is. Look at all aspects. Figure out how much living and travel costs will be. Find somewhere you can have a good social life, because that is more important than you think. Weigh up all of these aspects and you will soon see what university will be best for you, but don't panic, so so many people change universities within the first few months!
Original post by JHafodJ

Wow! Well done on your grades! You will be able to apply to a wide range of universities! If you like graphic design, it is a great course, then go for it! Universities such as Leeds university (ABB), Southampton (BBB), Huddersfield (BBB) and Edinburgh (BBB) are great for the subject and are very well respected by employers.
Good luck!
If you are unsure you could always apply for an art and design foundation course, which would give you another year to research and find the best course and uni for you.
Reply 4
Original post by KirstyGauder
Hey I live in South Wales too and had this problem when I was deciding which university to go to 3 years ago!

When I was in the process of applying for my top 5 choices I picked 5 that were out of Wales as I was adamant I wanted to move away.

When my offers came back I was accepted into all 5, which made the whole decision process even harder! 3 of the university I had applied for were in London and they were really impressive uni's, I couldn't believe that they had chosen me and declined many of my friends offers!

My friends thought I was out of my mind when I turned all of the London offers down and accepted to study at De Montfort University in Leicester (which also offer amazing graphics courses I believe). For me it wasn't all about going to the most 'impressive' uni, there's a number of factors you need to weigh up. London seemed too out of my comfort zone, I would've had to travel 40 minutes to campus every day and the living costs out there were too expensive. I chose De Montfort because I loved the look of the campus, all of the student halls were within walking distance of class, the nightlife seemed great, it wasn't as far from home as London etc.

Though, a year into my course and I hated it! Purely because I thought the other students on my course were dumb as F*** and I felt like I was wasting my money and time learning things I already knew. I dropped out. I waited until the following September and started a Business Management & Marketing course in the University of South Wales. At first, I was worried that people would laugh at me because people sniggered that it was for dumb people bla bla. It turns out, the university is really well known and respected for Business students, the resources there are amazing! I've saved money from living in halls and have apartment shared with my friend and our place is so so nice. My friends always question how I can afford to live there, but what they don't know is it has actually worked out cheaper than student accommodation ha! Student accommodation definitely over charge! Anyway, the point is, I am in a much better situation now. I used to hate Wales until I moved away. Now I love going to a university local to me (about 25 minute drive). Because I am happier, my work effort is higher and I am doing better in my studies which is something people always overlook. If you're studying somewhere but you aren't happy, you're lacking the social aspect etc, it will reflect in your work.

Basically the best piece of advice I can give anyone choosing a university is.. Don't just look at how respected or well-known the university is. Look at all aspects. Figure out how much living and travel costs will be. Find somewhere you can have a good social life, because that is more important than you think. Weigh up all of these aspects and you will soon see what university will be best for you, but don't panic, so so many people change universities within the first few months!

Thank you for the reply! I'm glad you are much happier now! Honestly I was considering opting for something maybe Business and IT related in Uni but I enjoy Design a lot, and I think It would be much better for me. I agree with you about it's not all about the most Impressive Uni, that's I'm reluctant to go anywhere in London as I don't think I could cope with the living costs. I just really want to do well for myself, and if I go to the most "Impressive" Uni I can get into and also enjoy myself at the same time then that would be great! I have researched quite a lot into Uni's not nowhere near enough to make a proper decision yet! I just get quite anxious and I'm over stressing about it already :frown:
Original post by JHafodJ
Thank you for the reply! I'm glad you are much happier now! Honestly I was considering opting for something maybe Business and IT related in Uni but I enjoy Design a lot, and I think It would be much better for me. I agree with you about it's not all about the most Impressive Uni, that's I'm reluctant to go anywhere in London as I don't think I could cope with the living costs. I just really want to do well for myself, and if I go to the most "Impressive" Uni I can get into and also enjoy myself at the same time then that would be great! I have researched quite a lot into Uni's not nowhere near enough to make a proper decision yet! I just get quite anxious and I'm over stressing about it already :frown:

No problem at all! Do what makes you happy because that is what you are going to get the best grades in. There's so much pressure when it comes to choosing a university, I remember thinking to myself "am I even going to get a job from the course I am doing?" (initially I was studying Fashion Buying & Marketing, I've changed to Business & Marketing now. But even if I continued studying Fashion, despite it being restricted and perhaps harder for me to get a job after uni, you can do a post-graduate 1 year course related to anything you want, most of the time your degree doesn't even have to be relevant to your post-grad study so for example I am studying Business now, I could finish my 3 year course and do a post-graduate course in Fitness or IT.

Don't stress too much and definitely don't choose a university that you're friends are going to, I know a lot of people who did that and it backfired of course. Just sit down and weight up your options. It's always going to be a stressful process because you never know if you're doing the right thing, speak to your design teachers and see if they have any advice for you. It's all so much to take it but it'll come to you eventually. I used to think uni was such a big deal, but it isn't that big of a deal, as soon as you get a degree you can leave and get a job it's as simple as that. If you went for an interview, the interviewer wouldn't look down on you if you didn't go to the top uni, because they consider other things too such as confidence, personality, sense of humor, common sense, hygiene you know, that sort of thing ha!

You'll be fine, honestly. Just pic a uni that isn't going to cost a bomb living there, somewhere that is fun and has a lot going on such as sport societies etc, has good reviews on the course you want to study, that's all you need! Remember, most uni's are great anyway, they're all in competition of wanting you to spend your money there so they don't actually vary that much!

Quick Reply

Latest