The Student Room Group

Year 10

Going into year 10 any tips on how to revise? I just want to get the best head start I can and gain all the knowledge I need for my exams at the end of year 11.
Original post by Gurj.S
Going into year 10 any tips on how to revise? I just want to get the best head start I can and gain all the knowledge I need for my exams at the end of year 11.

I am also a current year 10 but some of the older students told us that in science you should make revision notes and flashcards etc. as you go along not just before exams.:biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by charlotteevans
I am also a current year 10 but some of the older students told us that in science you should make revision notes and flashcards etc. as you go along not just before exams.:biggrin:

thanks.
I'm going to try and revise the whole year like at 1 hour 45min after school at least.
I've just gone into year 11 and I second the making notes thing, it's gonna take me ages to do them all in one go :frown:
still haven't found my revision method yet...it's a bit trial and error
Original post by Gurj.S
thanks.
I'm going to try and revise the whole year like at 1 hour 45min after school at least.

You really don't need to do that yet! You will burn out (which is the last thing you want) and you won't remember stuff if you revise it too early. Just make sure you're understanding it as you go along and do all your homework so you're consolidating it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by icy_typhoon
I've just gone into year 11 and I second the making notes thing, it's gonna take me ages to do them all in one go :frown:
still haven't found my revision method yet...it's a bit trial and error

Alright so you're saying making notes doesn't work for you? maybe try flash cards or past papers?
Original post by Gurj.S

Hi,
I've just finished my GCSE's and I kinda went through many revision techniques. I didn't do much "revision" in year 10 until mocks in May which I revised for mainly by making posters. Year 11 mocks I made flashcards with info on the front and questions on the back which were really useful. Then I continued revising from my year 11 mocks in December through to my exams by writing lists of questions, flashcards, looking though specifications and making notes on A4 paper.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by tryrevise
You really don't need to do that yet! You will burn out (which is the last thing you want) and you won't remember stuff if you revise it too early. Just make sure you're understanding it as you go along and do all your homework so you're consolidating it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you!
so I shouldn't spend time after school revising yet? just do the homework but I rarely get homework from my school so I want to do a bit extra.
Reply 8
Original post by LovingJenniferr
Hi,
I've just finished my GCSE's and I kinda went through many revision techniques. I didn't do much "revision" in year 10 until mocks in May which I revised for mainly by making posters. Year 11 mocks I made flashcards with info on the front and questions on the back which were really useful. Then I continued revising from my year 11 mocks in December through to my exams by writing lists of questions, flashcards, looking though specifications and making notes on A4 paper.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you ill try some of these techniques.
Hi there. I would say make sure you understand all of the course material as you are covering them in your lessons with your teachers and if something confuses you, ask teachers to explain it right away instead of leaving it till exam time. In terms of revising you could make posters, revision cards, rewrite your notes, make use of colour as it aids in you remembering things better, and also near exam time get a hold of every past paper from thw specification you are doing and work through them. Take your time in doing the paper and also rechecking it for mistakes. Mark your papers using the online markscheme and study them to see what type of question requires what kind of point to get the marks.
Hope this helps.
Original post by Gurj.S
Alright so you're saying making notes doesn't work for you? maybe try flash cards or past papers?

nah I'm saying that I agree with the person who said to start making your science notes now because I wish that's what I'd done :smile:

past papers are an absolute must, they're so helpful and freely available online so there's no reason NOT to use them! Also looking at examiners reports for things like English can show you what examiners like/don't like. Flash cards are quite helpful for quick revision on the bus etc.

stay on top of your homework, avoid leaving it to the last minute as much as possible because if you start it and realise that you're stuck the night before it's due you won't be able to ask teachers/classmates for help. Never be afraid to ask teachers for help if you don't understand something.

but don't forget to have fun - make sure you go out and stuff when you're free otherwise you'll be sitting inside a lot which is bad lol
Reply 11
Original post by icy_typhoon
nah I'm saying that I agree with the person who said to start making your science notes now because I wish that's what I'd done :smile:

past papers are an absolute must, they're so helpful and freely available online so there's no reason NOT to use them! Also looking at examiners reports for things like English can show you what examiners like/don't like. Flash cards are quite helpful for quick revision on the bus etc.

stay on top of your homework, avoid leaving it to the last minute as much as possible because if you start it and realise that you're stuck the night before it's due you won't be able to ask teachers/classmates for help. Never be afraid to ask teachers for help if you don't understand something.

but don't forget to have fun - make sure you go out and stuff when you're free otherwise you'll be sitting inside a lot which is bad lol

Thanks I will try these techniques.
Reply 12
Original post by presiousrose
Hi there. I would say make sure you understand all of the course material as you are covering them in your lessons with your teachers and if something confuses you, ask teachers to explain it right away instead of leaving it till exam time. In terms of revising you could make posters, revision cards, rewrite your notes, make use of colour as it aids in you remembering things better, and also near exam time get a hold of every past paper from thw specification you are doing and work through them. Take your time in doing the paper and also rechecking it for mistakes. Mark your papers using the online markscheme and study them to see what type of question requires what kind of point to get the marks.
Hope this helps.

Thanks much appreciated. I will try these out.

also when you make the notes try and write them as if you were making them for someone else so when you come back to them to revise they'll make sense and will be in detail.
Original post by Gurj.S
Okay thank you!
so I shouldn't spend time after school revising yet? just do the homework but I rarely get homework from my school so I want to do a bit extra.

You might find that you get more homework in GCSE years anyway. All I'd say is don't push yourself too much, especially at the beginning of the year, bc you'll burn yourself out by the end. If you want to do a bit more then I'd just go over your class notes and make sure you fully understand everything and find out if you don't. :smile:
Reply 15
You might find that you get more homework in GCSE years anyway. All I'd say is don't push yourself too much, especially at the beginning of the year, bc you'll burn yourself out by the end. If you want to do a bit more then I'd just go over your class notes and make sure you fully understand everything and find out if you don't. :smile:

will do thanks
Reply 16
also when you make the notes try and write them as if you were making them for someone else so when you come back to them to revise they'll make sense and will be in detail.

will do thank you

Agreed, if you're going to do any extra then yeah you could make your revision notes in advance (I did that and it was really helpful) but don't worry too much about drumming all the finer details into your memory just yet, just make sure you understand everything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by tryrevise
Agreed, if you're going to do any extra then yeah you could make your revision notes in advance (I did that and it was really helpful) but don't worry too much about drumming all the finer details into your memory just yet, just make sure you understand everything

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks
Original post by Gurj.S

Well all I can say is make sure you don’t leave revision and hw till last minute cos you will regret it.
And revise everything you study .
So at the end of each week write down like a summary of the topics for each subject so by the time u get to the end of the unit , you’ve got a rough summery to go over .
I didn’t do any of that and I’m about to start year 11 unprepared.

Quick Reply

Latest