The Student Room Group

Will student finance fund my second degree?

Hi I am a biomedical Science student my course is three years long. I am going to apply for either undergraduate 5 year medicine course or 4 year graduate medicine course. Will student finance fund my second degree?

Please helpppppp
thanksss
Original post by a7ouc1
Hi I am a biomedical Science student my course is three years long. I am going to apply for either undergraduate 5 year medicine course or 4 year graduate medicine course. Will student finance fund my second degree?

Please helpppppp
thanksss

Sorry I'm much younger and cannot help you but I want to ask a question. How well do you have to do in GCSE and A Levels to go and do medicine like you are?
Reply 2
Partly yes as it's healthcare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by a7ouc1

Please helpppppp
thanksss

They will fund 4 year, but not 5 year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you get the length of your course + 1 year - years studied (so you'd only have 1 year of funding available)
pretty sure if you've completed a degree they won't finance a new one
Reply 5
As funding stands currently, you will get a basic rate of maintenance loan for a second degree in Medicine if you do the 5 year course. No grants or tuition loans though. If you do the 4 year course, you get more support.
Reply 6
Original post by SamuelSingleton
you get the length of your course + 1 year - years studied (so you'd only have 1 year of funding available)
pretty sure if you've completed a degree they won't finance a new one

That 'gift year' doesn't apply anymore once you've completed the first degree. Its purpose is only to help ensure you are able to complete a first degree.
Original post by a7ouc1

Please helpppppp
thanksss

For 5 year courses you get only the basic maintenance loan for the first 4 years, and no help with tuition fees. I believe in 5th year the NHS pay your fees, but I don't know what happens with your maintenance.

For 4 year courses it's a bit more complicated, but better! In 1st year you get a fees loan of £5535 from student loans, but you have to pay the remaining £3565 to the university yourself. You also get a maximum of £5740 in maintenance loan, no grant.
In 2nd to 4th years you get the same amount in fees loans, but the NHS pays the difference. Your maintenance loan drops off really sharply, to about £2k I think, but the NHS then give you a bursary, which is means tested and depends on how many weeks long your course is. In most cases it doesn't quite make up the difference.

I'm starting GEM at Southampton in a couple of weeks, and personally I'm planning on working as much as I can during the holidays in my first 2 years to make sure that I'm not too low on money throughout!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thankyou everyone for the replies it helped a lot and goodluck to every1 in their studies/career :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending