The Student Room Group

how to get a part time job?

18 and unemployed. lol. any tips?
i applied for a sainsbury temporary position yesterday and on the application I had to do like a survey thing about the job. I failed that test - and my application isn't going to be taken any further, which is such a bummer.:angry: I've already gone in and out of shops giving in my CV etc. and applied for numerous positions online, its either a rejection or no reply.
Reply 1
I'm 17 with no experience and just got my first job at John lewis. I applied to sainsburys and John lewis online and got interviewed for both and both were offered. Go for the long shifts as it means less people will apply. I do my first day of work tommorow :~)
Reply 2
Original post by Seveers
I'm 17 with no experience and just got my first job at John lewis. I applied to sainsburys and John lewis online and got interviewed for both and both were offered. Go for the long shifts as it means less people will apply. I do my first day of work tommorow :~)

i have a lot of experience, worked in a charity for a year or so. aw that's really good! and you're really lucky!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Aren't you going to uni at your age?
Perhaps you should think about taking a govt apprenticeship?
Reply 4
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Aren't you going to uni at your age?
Perhaps you should think about taking a govt apprenticeship?

yeah i'm starting uni, only attending 3 days a week - i would like a job on the side to keep me busy
Original post by samina_ay
18 and unemployed. lol. any tips?
i applied for a sainsbury temporary position yesterday and on the application I had to do like a survey thing about the job. I failed that test - and my application isn't going to be taken any further, which is such a bummer.:angry: I've already gone in and out of shops giving in my CV etc. and applied for numerous positions online, its either a rejection or no reply.

Look in shop windows for stuff. Ive noticed that a few places are starting to advertise in their windows for xmas staff, so its worth getting in there early.
I know its only temporary and all that, but places keep some people on so theres a chance of keeping you on.
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
Look in shop windows for stuff. Ive noticed that a few places are starting to advertise in their windows for xmas staff, so its worth getting in there early.
I know its only temporary and all that, but places keep some people on so theres a chance of keeping you on.

thats very true, i'm keeping a look out for them , thanks x
Original post by samina_ay
thats very true, i'm keeping a look out for them , thanks x

I know if its different in different area, but ive noticed that pandora, toys r us, the entertainer etc are advertising for xmas staff already if that helps. And several max spielman stores near me seem to be advertising for permanent staff. It might be worth checking a store near you.
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
I know if its different in different area, but ive noticed that pandora, toys r us, the entertainer etc are advertising for xmas staff already if that helps. And several max spielman stores near me seem to be advertising for permanent staff. It might be worth checking a store near you.

my area is a little deprived - live in a small town. but thanks!! i'll deffo be checking those stores out!!
Go check out sites such as indeed.co.uk maybe you'll find something there. Im the same age as you buut i started working 2 years ago. I first started off in a small shop with 8 people ans a 6 hour contract and then moved onto primark and now I'm at Asda. So starting anywhere really is good and any experience is extremely helpful.
Reply 10
You can try tutoring. Explore learning or Kumon
Where do you live? Royal Mail, Argos,Next, Debenhams, Next take people for XMAS I think. Try Primark, John Lewis and supermarkets to see if there are any vacancies near your area. Oh yeah one more thing sometimes you can find assessment questions online e.g. for Sainsburys I just copied and pasted the assessment they gave me in google and came up with all answers lol try and see if you can do the same if you apply.
I'm planning on handing in cv's into shops should I do it or is it a waste of time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I started applying for jobs March last year and had no responses from anywhere for ages. It was so disheartening and I was beginning to think I was unemployable when my mum actually found a position for me by talking to a friend and I started in October. Then about November time I had FOUR different employers (a bookshop, a deli and two I can't remember now) I'd contacted back in March offer me jobs because they finally had a place...

So just stick at it and you never know what might happen, I guess. Good luck :smile:
Reply 14
There is lot of option available for fresher student also. It’s depend upon the field you are best. Go for online job portal and freelancer websites. I apply for my part time job online at localbrochureprinting.co.uk to create brochure, flyer and templates using adobe photoshop and corel draw.

Quick Reply

Latest