AlmostNotable
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Currently taking Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths and Physics for A2. I did not really think about university when I picked my A levels. I just really enjoy Maths.

I had my mind set on applying to study Mathematics at 5 top universities however my dad told me that a Mathematics degree isn't practical and would not find me jobs (apart from teaching jobs). Instead he advised me to study electrical engineering. Should I take his advice? He has had a PHD in electrical engineering for over 20 years.

What are the most respected degrees I can study with my A levels?

And what are the highest paying degrees I can study with my A levels?
ValarMorghulis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A Maths degree is highly respected and will open many doors for you, not just teaching! If you're passionate about Maths, I would suggest that you study that at University. In my opinion, studying something at university that you know you'll enjoy is by far the most important thing. That means that you're probably more likely to do well in it.

Study maths! Not everyone is as lucky as you to be blessed with amazing maths skills; make the most of it!
AhmedChan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well your a levels are very quantitative based and if your looking a degree that can guarantee you a high salary and is respected an obvious option would be economics. Top universities such as lse Cambridge and Warwick look for candidates with strong numerical abilities and clearly if you have those a levels you have that ability. Last year lse's average salary for students who graduated from an economics bachelor was 40,000 pound (I got this from KIS), people graduating from these places go into investment banking, hedge funds and private equity where there is a lot of money. Other courses i would suggest is MORSE which is offered by warwick, this course is only offered by warwick and suits a candidate who is great at maths, plus I heard its very interesting. Regardless you shouldn't worry too much on salary just do a degree you think is interesting and work hard then money should come.
Mumfindinginfo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What about actuarial science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dannygem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mumfindinginfo)
What about actuarial science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
MORSE is good, isn't specifically 'Actuarial science' but if you pick the modules right, after 4 years you can get something like 7 actuarial exam excemptions.
ImmyisasImmydoes
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maths and Actuarial Science?
Engineering?
Physics?
Astrophysics?
There are loads of things you could do, and even if you did just plain maths that doesn't mean you *have* to teach. You could do further study, conversion courses, go into finance, and many other things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads