localblackguy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
https://www.facebook.com/NicoleArbou...4221907732907/

Thoughts on this video? I'm gonna remain impartial and play devil's advocate in this thread
Advertisement
Gaming_Hippy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
she could have said it like less of an ass but its true
picklescamp
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
gahhhhhh whyyyyyy

making people feel ashamed of their lifestyle is not a way to make them change their lifestyle. If someone goes to school and gets called fat and disgusting, do you really think they'll go home and go to the gym? Or do you think they'll curl up on the sofa and cry over a happy meal. Food is a coping mechanism for a lot of people, so making them feel shamed is not a way to stop them being fat, it's a way to drive them to more compulsive eating.

You're not doing a public service. You're just being a ****.
Advertisement
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So bored of these "im not being a **** im just blunt lololol dae h8 fat people" videos :sigh:
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by picklescamp)
gahhhhhh whyyyyyy

making people feel ashamed of their lifestyle is not a way to make them change their lifestyle. If someone goes to school and gets called fat and disgusting, do you really think they'll go home and go to the gym? Or do you think they'll curl up on the sofa and cry over a happy meal. Food is a coping mechanism for a lot of people, so making them feel shamed is not a way to stop them being fat, it's a way to drive them to more compulsive eating.

Couldn't agree more. You've got to have some serious personal issues or insecurities if you've got nothing better to do with your time than abuse people who are overweight. Some people genuinely try to claim that fat-shaming helps people get thinner but those people are just looking for an excuse or legitimisation to be vile. For every person who claims to have been helped by fat-shaming, you've got ten people who have been made to feel like dirt.

Yes, it is a health problem that we should be taking seriously but abusing people is not the way forward.
Advertisement
Flozzie543
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This was great! We need more people saying this!
0range
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
r/Fatpeoplehate lives on!!
Advertisement
saeed97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Name:  11951413_10153202836632648_346463256242570727_n.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  76.3 KB
picklescamp
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Couldn't agree more. You've got to have some serious personal issues or insecurities if you've got nothing better to do with your time than abuse people who are overweight. Some people genuinely try to claim that fat-shaming helps people get thinner but those people are just looking for an excuse or legitimisation to be vile. For every person who claims to have been helped by fat-shaming, you've got ten people who have been made to feel like dirt.

Yes, it is a health problem that we should be taking seriously but abusing people is not the way forward.
ugh. Thank you. :hugs: someone rational on here.

I don't think anyone can be helped by fat shaming. Sure they may be cornered into losing weight but the psychological repercussions would leave them with disordered eating for the rest of their lives; often just as unhealthy. If you bully someone for having ginger hair and they go and dye their hair that doesn't mean they don't still feel the emotional trauma of having been bullied.
Advertisement
localblackguy
Rep:
?
gahhhhhh whyyyyyy

(Original post by Plagioclase)

So what do you propose instead to tackle the problem? (please read my edit in the OP before attacking me)
0range
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by localblackguy)
I'm gonna remain impartial and play devil's advocate in this thread
Lol so basically you wanna take the piss out of fat ppl and not get hated.
Advertisement
picklescamp
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So what do you propose instead to tackle the problem? (please read my edit in the OP before attacking me)
for one: tackle the root of the problem which lies in the manipulative way our food is advertised and produced. For example diet Coke is actually worse for your health than regular coke despite being marketed as more healthy. Special K, something which is promoted as a way of losing weight, contains more sugar than Coco pops. There are addictive substances (MSG) in most unhealthy foods which literally get you hooked on junk food. Diets are proven to be worse for a person's health overall as it almost always results in a yoyo affect and the gaining of weight afterwards usually exceeds the amount lost. This is all because the profits of TNCs is placed in greater priority than the health of their customers.
MAINE.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
https://www.facebook.com/NicoleArbou...4221907732907/

Thoughts on this video? I'm gonna remain impartial and play devil's advocate in this thread

Fat people are the best thing ever, and if anything I think there should be more fat people in the world.

If you're thin/fit, fat people are great because they make you look even better by comparison :lol:
Advertisement
Paracosm
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be totally honest with you. Whilst I cannot speak for everyone and I have no intention of doing so I must admit that I am indeed fat. I’ve got not an ounce of shame in telling anyone the truth. Ultimately, it comes down to accepting responsibility. It’s my fault I am overweight and it is absolutely my responsibility to take the steps to change that and improve my overall health and lifestyle. However, at the end of the day there are going to be those who are not interested in losing weight. It’s nobody’s place to advise anyone of their health unless they are qualified to do so. You’re allowed your opinion, sure but it’s not acceptable to hold a grudge on a person for their lifestyle choices.

Since taking my own weight into my hands, I’ve managed so far to lose 2st 11lbs. There’s a long way to go and I have every intention to reach my goal. It’s sad however that people don’t have a little more perspective. I for example am taking the steps to better myself and yet I still find ridicule. It’s sad that we all have nothing better to do than to obsess over the lifestyle choices of others; be it weight, sexual orientation, etc.. It’s best to focus on you, because you’re the person that you know best.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Education and financial/social help. People don't want to be overweight and they will take help if it's available to them - the crucial thing is that help needs to be available in a form that is accessible for everyone. If we're talking about obesity specifically, this is mainly a problem with over-eating or a poor diet, rather than a lack of exercise. We need to continue the educational campaigns that we have at the moment (particularly those targeted at children) to encourage healthy diets and very importantly, people need to be supported to have healthy diets. It's sad but today, it is often cheaper (and definitely a lot easier) to live off unhealthy food than healthy food because fresh food is often quite expensive and takes time to prepare that a lot of people don't have. Obesity is quite a deeply rooted social problem and there are no instant fixes but education to foster a culture of healthy eating is a good place to start.
localblackguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0range)
Lol so basically you wanna take the piss out of fat ppl and not get hated.
Yes, that's 100% my aim. You got me. I totally am not trying to look at both perspectives of the issue rather than have the thread biased arguing the side of fatshamers/sympathisers from the start :rolleyes:
localblackguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by iEthan)
To be totally honest with you. Whilst I cannot speak for everyone and I have no intention of doing so I must admit that I am indeed fat. I’ve got not an ounce of shame in telling anyone the truth. Ultimately, it comes down to accepting responsibility. It’s my fault I am overweight and it is absolutely my responsibility to take the steps to change that and improve my overall health and lifestyle. However, at the end of the day there are going to be those who are not interested in losing weight. It’s nobody’s place to advise anyone of their health unless they are qualified to do so. You’re allowed your opinion, sure but it’s not acceptable to hold a grudge on a person for their lifestyle choices.

Since taking my own weight into my hands, I’ve managed so far to lose 2st 11lbs. There’s a long way to go and I have every intention to reach my goal. It’s sad however that people don’t have a little more perspective. I for example am taking the steps to better myself and yet I still find ridicule. It’s sad that we all have nothing better to do than to obsess over the lifestyle choices of others; be it weight, sexual orientation, etc.. It’s best to focus on you, because you’re the person that you know best.
Well said.
Advertisement
localblackguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gaming_Hippy)
she could have said it like less of an ass but its true
Isn't this applicable to basically all fatshaming though?
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
for one: tackle the root of the problem which lies in the manipulative way our food is advertised and produced. For example diet Coke is actually worse for your health than regular coke despite being marketed as more healthy. Special K, something which is promoted as a way of losing weight, contains more sugar than Coco pops. There are addictive substances (MSG) in most unhealthy foods which literally get you hooked on junk food. Diets are proven to be worse for a person's health overall as it almost always results in a yoyo affect and the gaining of weight afterwards usually exceeds the amount lost. This is all because the profits of TNCs is placed in greater priority than the health of their customers.
Keep believing that.

Also, you're wrong about Special K containing more sugar than Coco Pops

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ.../?id=289348054 - 4.5g per 30g
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ.../?id=268132116 11g per 30g.
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol she's trying to copy Genna Marbles. She talks in exactly the same way lmao.

"Shame people with bad habits until they stop"

^I do agree though. Thats what it's like in a lot of other cultures. Where obesity isn't a problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.93%
I'm not sure (16)
3.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.48%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.38%

Watched Threads