Media studies .. Is it worth resitting, in order to get a B?

Watch
Fleming1928
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've just started year 13, and I know that once again Media will be my biggest struggle. To get into university I need ABB, but at AS I only received ACC.

In Media, I got a C overall. A D in my exam (Media Concepts TV Drama) and I got a C in my coursework (Fnd portfolio Media).

I don't know why my coursework grade was so slow. I often got told that my coursework is the best in class. I also don't know why I got a D in my exam. The exam has two questions, from practice in class I usually got a C/B in the first question and always an A in the second question, so I was expecting at least a B grade.

My school doesn't offer the best support for media. We don't even have professional media teachers as they're just english teachers. We always get told that media is hard and we should be happy with a C. I can't go to uni with a C ...We don't even have a media room and have to work in the library. When it comes to actually making something, we don't even have good quality cameras that we can use!

I already want to resit history, and retaking media might seem a bit much, especially because I don't understand it at all and I will already struggle with year 13. I really need to get a B.

What would you do in my position? Is it better to just resit that D?
Please, any advice would be appreciated.
pwnagee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fleming1928)
I've just started year 13, and I know that once again Media will be my biggest struggle. To get into university I need ABB, but at AS I only received ACC.

In Media, I got a C overall. A D in my exam (Media Concepts TV Drama) and I got a C in my coursework (Fnd portfolio Media).

I don't know why my coursework grade was so slow. I often got told that my coursework is the best in class. I also don't know why I got a D in my exam. The exam has two questions, from practice in class I usually got a C/B in the first question and always an A in the second question, so I was expecting at least a B grade.

My school doesn't offer the best support for media. We don't even have professional media teachers as they're just english teachers. We always get told that media is hard and we should be happy with a C. I can't go to uni with a C ...We don't even have a media room and have to work in the library. When it comes to actually making something, we don't even have good quality cameras that we can use!

I already want to resit history, and retaking media might seem a bit much, especially because I don't understand it at all and I will already struggle with year 13. I really need to get a B.

What would you do in my position? Is it better to just resit that D?
Please, any advice would be appreciated.
My AS grades were ABCC, one of the Cs were in media. I got an A in the coursework but after moderation it got marked down to a high B. I got a C in the exam. Therefore I got a C in media.

My A2 grades were A*AC, yep a C in media. That C grade cost me my place at Leeds.

I decided to resit the AS coursework and exam to at least achieve an A overall, but I failed. After resitting AS and sitting the A2 modules, I got my two As in the coursework units and drastically underperformed in the exam units even though I worked so hard on them. According to my media studies teacher, my practice essay answers were A/B grade standard. Unfortunately, I got a D and an E in the exams 😕.

The teaching for media studies was absolutely poor at my school. They did not prepare us for the exams properly. I also think that the exam board's marking for my papers were inaccurate, but I did not request for a remark.

In my opinion, you should only resit if you personally know you can actually do better. If you know you'll enjoy putting the hard work for the exam preparation then go for it. If not, then I suggest you don't. Plus, from my experience, as the examinations are essay based, any examiner could possibly ruin your future due to inaccurate and biased marking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fleming1928
Rep:
?
(Original post by pwnagee)
The teaching for media studies was absolutely poor at my school. They did not prepare us for the exams properly. I also think that the exam board's marking for my papers were inaccurate, but I did not request for a remark.Posted from TSR Mobile
That's exactly the case at my school. Although my media teachers are amazing english teachers, I always leave the media lessons confused. Like you've said, I always got good grades in my practice papers, therefore a D in the exam was a shock. Loads of people in my media class never turned up to a single lesson, and still managed to get a C overall, whereas I've put in my heart and soul into the revision and turned out with an exact same grade as people who didn't even put any effort into turning up to lessons.

Another thing which may have had a negative effect on my grade was the fact that I was really ill during the exam period. Media was my last exam and by that point I was taking antibiotics and was completely exhausted. I couldn't concentrate and spent more time coughing/sneezing than actually writing. Maybe if I wasn't ill I would've gotten a B, but since I managed to get an A in psychology I don't know whether my illness is a good excuse for my failure.

In my opinion, you should only resit if you personally know you can actually do better. If you know you'll enjoy putting the hard work for the exam preparation then go for it. If not, then I suggest you don't. Plus, from my experience, as the examinations are essay based, any examiner could possibly ruin your future due to inaccurate and biased marking.
I really don't know if I can do any better, but I know that I desperately need to turn my C into a B. I feel like everyone in my media set (at this point about 4 people) feel the same way about media as I do. This year we have to do a music video, and although I'm prepared for that (when I was younger I used to create music videos for fun, I have a green screen, many amazing editing soft-wares and just about anything I could possibly need), I feel like the music video is going to take so much time that I won't be able to focus on retaking history, possibly media, revising for all of my A2 modules, and doing an EPQ. I don't know what to do. I was even willing to drop media and take up 2 AS subjects, however my sixth form really doesn't offer a vast majority of subjects, and it would also mean that instead of doing coursework + one exam, I would have to do 4 exams. I really don't want to stay back a year, I kind of can't, since the year 12s are under a new system.

I've set my heart onto getting ABB so that I can get into my dream course at Sheffield. Can I ask, what did you do about Leeds? Did you go to a different university or did you decide to stay back a year?
pwnagee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's exactly the case at my school. Although my media teachers are amazing english teachers, I always leave the media lessons confused. Like you've said, I always got good grades in my practice papers, therefore a D in the exam was a shock. Loads of people in my media class never turned up to a single lesson, and still managed to get a C overall, whereas I've put in my heart and soul into the revision and turned out with an exact same grade as people who didn't even put any effort into turning up to lessons.

Another thing which may have had a negative effect on my grade was the fact that I was really ill during the exam period. Media was my last exam and by that point I was taking antibiotics and was completely exhausted. I couldn't concentrate and spent more time coughing/sneezing than actually writing. Maybe if I wasn't ill I would've gotten a B, but since I managed to get an A in psychology I don't know whether my illness is a good excuse for my failure.

I really don't know if I can do any better, but I know that I desperately need to turn my C into a B. I feel like everyone in my media set (at this point about 4 people) feel the same way about media as I do. This year we have to do a music video, and although I'm prepared for that (when I was younger I used to create music videos for fun, I have a green screen, many amazing editing soft-wares and just about anything I could possibly need), I feel like the music video is going to take so much time that I won't be able to focus on retaking history, possibly media, revising for all of my A2 modules, and doing an EPQ. I don't know what to do. I was even willing to drop media and take up 2 AS subjects, however my sixth form really doesn't offer a vast majority of subjects, and it would also mean that instead of doing coursework + one exam, I would have to do 4 exams. I really don't want to stay back a year, I kind of can't, since the year 12s are under a new system.

I've set my heart onto getting ABB so that I can get into my dream course at Sheffield. Can I ask, what did you do about Leeds? Did you go to a different university or did you decide to stay back a year?

I got my music video finished by December/January, it didn't take too long create because I'm a bit experienced in video editing.

I applied to University of Leeds for graphic and communication design... then I went through clearing to try to apply for graphic arts at University of Southampton, but they said that I don't have an Art & Design subject.

Soooo, I just applied for Mathematics at the University of Southampton as that was my backup plan...
pwnagee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What course are you wanting to apply for?
Fleming1928
Rep:
?
What course are you wanting to apply for?
History and Russian at Sheffield, Birmingham, Nottingham and UCL (Sheffield would be my first choice).

I got my music video finished by December/January, it didn't take too long create because I'm a bit experienced in video editing.I applied to University of Leeds for graphic and communication design... then I went through clearing to try to apply for graphic arts at University of Southampton, but they said that I don't have an Art & Design subject.Soooo, I just applied for Mathematics at the University of Southampton as that was my backup plan...

That's reassuring, I want to rely my music video on editing, ie a green screen and special effects, hence why I'm worried that it might take a bit long. When I used to make music videos for fun it would usually take me 1 day to film and 1 whole day to edit, but this time everything has to be perfect!

At least you've had a backup plan, I don't. There's no other course that I want to do! Yes, I could just study history on it's own at a lower ranked uni (since history on it's own actually has higher grade requirements at the unis I want to apply to), but then I feel like I won't be as happy at uni as I could've been if I got into the History and Russian course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (50)
37.31%
No (70)
52.24%
I don't know (14)
10.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed