jjamess
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've read through a few of these blogs and have found them really interesting and quite helpful, so I've decided to write one myself.

I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm James, and in 13 days I will be moving down to Southampton Uni from Hertfordshire to study BA Geography.

I will update this with my feelings and experiences as I go through University, so you get an idea of University life, but also to have something to read back at the end of the year myself and remember how I was feeling before starting uni.

I am not on a massive count down at the minute unlike everyone else as I'm halfway through a trip in Eastern Europe - giving me three and a half days to pack and get ready for Uni! Gonna be a rush.

I think I've been rambling on for long enough now, and will update when I return from Croatia!

James
jjamess
Rep:
?
So I got back from my Europe trip today and I have basically 3 days until I move down to Southampton. Things are suddenly happening very very quickly!

I have kind of half packed and half not, some stationary, some kitchen and room stuff is ready, but I do not, I repeat NOT, feel ready to move to another city and become independent.

It's crazy, in some ways I feel completely ready to move away (having had two years out of education - I will just say I am a stubborn and indecisive person. You may ask, what did I do on my gap years? I worked. I needed to earn some money to be able to afford to live at uni, and on my first gap year I just didn't feel ready for uni and the changes and didn't think it was fair that University was my only option!

Anyway... so I move down to Southampton on Saturday. I have the unusual situation where my parents are on holiday so one of my friends is kindly driving me the 2 hours down and helping me move in (thankyou Mel!).

So, absolutely exhausted from my trip I am updating this blog and tomorrow sees the start of trying to see as many friends before I leave as well as desperately trying to pack my possessions and hope I have remembered everything I will need for uni! Gonna be a whirlwind of a few days and then UNI!

It's funny, I've been thinking about how it would feel to move out for the last 11 months, since I applied for uni, and now it's here, it just doesn't feel real!!

That's enough for tonight I think..!
jjamess
Rep:
?
Wow oh wow, so I have a day and a half now until I move down to Southampton. That. Is. Crazy!

I honestly don't know where the time has gone!! One thing I think I really will miss when I move is driving. I love my little car. I saved up for a while for it, and I definitely will not be getting rid of it, but equally I don't want it for first year. I'm hoping it'll be just like riding a bike and I won't forget how to drive.

So kitchen stuff is mostly packed up along with bathroom and bedroom stuff, just a few little bits really left to pack, but i'll be doing that on Saturday morning. The big challenge for me...clothes. I have so many, I am definitely overpacking...oh well! Just gotta try and get them all packed up into the two bags I have planned...my friend only has a normal hatchback!

One thing I am worried about is finances! not only do I have to budget and plan my spending etc to avoid going into the red, but I really could do with a job.. I am worried this will impact on my social life/uni work and I don't want this, but financially I think I will NEED a job! Anyone else in the same position? Ideally I could do with a part time flexible job, but how many of those exist?!

Everything is coming round SO quickly, I still can't get over the fact I'm going to be living independently in another city, and another county...Hampshire. I just can't get used to that!

James.
Excuse Me!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How is it? Have you met your new flatmates?
jjamess
Rep:
?
(Original post by Excuse Me!)
How is it? Have you met your new flatmates?
Yes! I live with 7 other people and 6 of them are brilliant - We have got one who doesn't really talk or come out of his room much so to be honest I don't know anything about him! haha. Now to update the thread!
jjamess
Rep:
?
So I have been so busy over the last week that I have not had time to even think about updating the thread!

Uni so far has been absolutely great and I am loving it. I moved in on the Saturday with 4 other (all girls haha). It was awkward at first with everyone and their parents waiting around and helping un pack - especially as I was parentless and had my friend move me in. She had to leave basically as soon as we dumped my stuff as she had to be back home for something in the afternoon and we got stuck in so much traffic!

Anyway, on the first night we all got to know each other a bit and went out to one of the Freshers Events together which had been organised by the Union - a trip to the infamous Jesters. We had a really good time and it was good to get to know the others.
On the Sunday the other 3 guys moved in (i'm lucky that my flat is split 50/50 boys and girls). One of the flat doesn't come out of his room much at all which is a shame, but there is normally one who is a little less social! He's nice, but I've barely spoken to him!

I really am enjoying living away from home - it's nice to have some independence and freedom away from my parents and to have met all these great people! I am hoping that we all live together next year - or the majority of us anyway, but we will see about that!!

Today I had my first seminar and got set my first essay which as of yet I haven't learnt anything about, so that should be interesting! But so far I am 100% enjoying uni, it's been great. I really hope it carries on like this and the work doesn't get too much! I am also going to be applying for jobs, as I will be SKINT. Another added pressure, but a necessary one!

I will update soon!
James
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?