Who is the most respectable hero of their Country - Gareth Bale or Wayne Rooney?

Watch
stehay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
wondering this yesterday

who out of the two of them is the better hero?
difeo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bale
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Imagine if Wales qualify for Euro 2016 and Bale gets injured just before the tournament...
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Neither are heroes, they're just two young men who get paid a lot to play football and do so to high standards.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Neither are heroes, they're just two young men who get paid a lot to play football and do so to high standards.
"a person, typically a man, who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities."
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bale has been incredible in the qualifiers, more than likely dragging a small country to a major tournament.

Rooney has got to drag us to a trophy win in my eyes.

Bale.
thunder_chunky
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Neither are heroes. I wish people would stop referring to sports persons and athletes as heroes. They're not. Especially not people like Shrek.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
"a person, typically a man, who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities."
I'm aware of the dictionary definition, but use of the word has been severely diluted with its application to those in sport. So much so that I don't think it can really be applied to anyone in sport, definitely nobody in professional sport.

Have either of them really done anything 'outstanding'? They're both part of teams that have achieved things, yes, but their team winning is down to more than just either of them.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Rooney hasn't done anything particularly spectacular. He's been a decent striker for a well funded national team which had plenty of other good players.

Bale has done very well to take a very unfancied side and regularly been a match winner.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wales are a one-man team (or at least a one-attacker team). England results and performances wouldn't have much changed if there was no Rooney after Euro 2004. Peter Crouch made more of a difference.
llys
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you meant "legend", not "hero". Hero is associated with great feats of courage in my mind; it is a terribly overused word in the media.

At the moment, Rooney, of course.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Great thread.

Infidel and part-time boxer Wayne Rooney is obviously the answer, folks.
Mr.Robot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Rooney all the way.
HItchslapped
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
Well I guess Hitler had outstanding achievements, does not make him a moral figure just like Ronney sleeps with prostitutes whilst having a wife and child.

Hero worship is so backwards.
Lord Samosa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Obviously Bale, he's had a much larger individual influence on Wales this qualifying campaign than Rooney has for England.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HItchslapped)
Well I guess Hitler had outstanding achievements, does not make him a moral figure just like Ronney sleeps with prostitutes whilst having a wife and child.

Hero worship is so backwards.
Yes and Hitler was a hero to his followers. Neither the thread title nor the definition mention being a moral figure as necessary.
HItchslapped
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
Yes and Hitler was a hero to his followers. Neither the thread title nor the definition mention being a moral figure as necessary.
Well that's if you or anybody else does not find having moral values as a requirement for having a so called 'hero'.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh look Difeo arguing with someone for no reason.
Dodgey-10
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got to be Bale.
Look at the amount of top Welsh players who couldn't guide Wales to a major tournament.
Giggs, Mark Hughes, Rush etc.
Although I like Rooney as a player, he hasn't really performed against the top teams in major tourneys.
50 goals is amazing for Wayne, but Bale is more of a hero, for me.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
Oh look Difeo arguing with someone for no reason.
strong hypocrisy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads