Turn on thread page Beta

Why haven't humans developed defensive features like animals/insects? watch

ReputationRep:
    Would evolution not take into account the threat we face from each other?

Teeth/fists are insufficient IMO. I am talking about a stinger, venomous bite, etc.

ReputationRep:
    i don't know about you but i've got some superpowers

ReputationRep:
    Because more than 95% of people die from natural causes and not from killing each other

ReputationRep:
    My guess is that since we evolved from monkeys, and since monkeys arn't equipped with stingers, but with strong muscles and high intelligence, we evolved in those areas instead. Yes, sometimes mutation can happen, but a mutation won't be as drastic (or sophisticated) as evolving a full stinger when our environment does not stimulate our need to develop a stinger.

ReputationRep:
    Mother Nature realized there's no defense to my awesomeness and any attempt at it is futile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Would evolution not take into account the threat we face from each other?

Teeth/fists are insufficient IMO. I am talking about a stinger, venomous bite, etc.
    We do. They're just not apparent. We can run.

Humans are the running animal. We run long distance far better than any other animal, proportional to size. We aren't the fastest, but we are the most efficient. That's how humans generally hunted - they'd chase an animal to exhaustion, then have an easy kill. Similarly, we'd simply run away from predators. Given enough of a headstart, we'd get away.

So where's the evolvedness physically? It's your bum . It's that massive gluteus maximus which keeps us balanced and able to run like we do. Look at other primates.. they've got like, no ass.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    girls cry when rain touches their head

how will we develop defensive features when we are lame

ReputationRep:
    our brains evolved to allow us to make guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    This.

ReputationRep:
    We got this :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Not just brains. Loads of other factors as well that lead to technology on the scale we use.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.