Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is a little bit about me:
    Last year, I suffered quite a serious illness that forced me to leave school and has left me currently re-learning to walk. I re-joined school and took my AS levels achieving BCCC with a B in Computing, C in Maths, C in English Literature and a C in Physics. I have been told (by my friends) I should retake the maths and physics, drop English whilst continuing A2.

However, I've also been told that there's no point in continuing as I won't get into a university with these AS grades anyway. I'm looking to study computer science at a local university (due to above medical reasons) so my dream choice would be Exeter, followed by Bath, Cardiff, Plymouth and possibly Reading.

I'm so disappointed with my results and being told there's no point in continuing with these results really hits your confidence. Do you think a university would take me if I worked really hard, as well as getting a tutor to help with areas I especially struggle with? Would my on-going illness go against me in my application (maybe they would think I'm hassle)?

Many thanks to those that read and try to help me

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear about that, i'm sure they would not think of you as a hassle at all, I've heard of people getting notes from their gp if they are in similar situations where their health really affects their studying, so they will consider your application as long as you meet some of the necessary requirements.

I think you can definitely still get into a good university tbh, personally I think you did well regardless and I have a friend who got much worse AS grades first year d's e's and c's and is now going to a top Russell group uni, so I suppose if you really work hard there's no reason why you can't if you really want to, best of luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 5, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.