The Student Room Group

Already hating university

Okay, so it's really soon, since I just moved in. I already hate it here, I am unable to get to know people, and I dread every aspect of whats to come. I just want to leave already. But then I feel guilty becauae of everything people have done to help me get here, and I can't see what I would do otherwise. So, I guess I'm looking for advice, please.

Scroll to see replies

What's stopping you from getting to know people?
Reply 2
Original post by KhalKerr
Okay, so it's really soon, since I just moved in. I already hate it here, I am unable to get to know people, and I dread every aspect of whats to come. I just want to leave already. But then I feel guilty becauae of everything people have done to help me get here, and I can't see what I would do otherwise. So, I guess I'm looking for advice, please.

Hang in there, have you joined any societies?
Because just imagine if you pull out now just when things may start looking up.
In reality things are only the way we make it, be positive and start to engage with others. You're paying alot for this experience, i'm sure you can make the most of it, what subject btw?
Reply 3
Original post by Ghaniza
Hang in there, have you joined any societies?
Because just imagine if you pull out now just when things may start looking up.
In reality things are only the way we make it, be positive and start to engage with others. You're paying alot for this experience, i'm sure you can make the most of it, what subject btw?

Computer science, and I only took it because I thought I could do it, I'm not even that interested in the subject. Also I don'tpay tuition.
As Ghaniza pointed out, you should join some societies. Are you not getting along with your flatmates? What about course mates?
You've not really included the most relevant detail: WHY are you hating it?
If you're not even interested in the subject you're paying 27K minimum to study, then you done messed up :erm: Hang in there though, things generally do improve, the social aspect shouldn't worry you as much as your course choice tbh
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7

A lot of people struggle at first, I'd give it a little time personally as there are lots of things that could make it better. I think the fact you aren't bothered about your course probably isn't helping matters, is there a course that you would be happier in that you could transfer to? How come you cannot get to know people? If you could outline the main problems more clearly and explain your concerns, then you can work through them one by one :smile:
Go out and pull
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Go out and pull

That's true. Worked for me.
Reply 10
Computer science, and I only took it because I thought I could do it, I'm not even that interested in the subject. Also I don'tpay tuition.

oh..i see.
You should talk to the people who deal with students problems in your university, there's always one.
They can change your course for you? It may not be too late
Universities are massive, nobody is ever truly alone unless they choose to be :wink: I'm hilariously anti-social and even I somehow have a bunch of (good) friends here, so if I can do it so can you :tongue:
Which Uni starts this early?
Original post by hihihihihi
Which Uni starts this early?

I was thinking this, I don't start again until the 21st
Reply 14
So a couple general things:
I have always struggled socially, and have never had many friends. the ones I did make never lasted long either. I just feel really uncomfortable here, like I'm a million miles away from everyone who I care about. as if they're just gone from my life. I don't feel like I would be comfortable in any course. I know that I've done this for all the wrong reasons, and now I just feel lost.
Aaaw i'm not at uni yet but i've heard from lots of people that its tricky at first, some people hate their first year and love the rest of their time that leaving is hard.
Stick with it and only give up if you hate the course...as thats what you're paying for

Plus, lose the pessimistic mind set or people who might want to talk to you will change their minds and back away. Sounds cliche, but smile at people and say hi even if you're awkward as hell.
I've only ever made friends by talking to people first and i'm a socially anxious freak, but it tends to work :P
(edited 8 years ago)
I know this isn't the same thing but I joined a new sixth form in year 12 and hated and whilst it took time I did make friends (I am extremely shy btw). Year 13 ended up being the only year of secondary school I actually didn't hate and genuinely didn't want to end.
Reply 17
I think it takes about 4-6 weeks to adjust to a major life change (such as this is). Stick it out until you find your new rhythm. You can just avoid people if you don't like them and if you don't mind being on your own.
Not gunna lie but I get the idea you went to uni with an attitude that you might not like it, theres no other reason you would have already decided you hate it. Look uni is very different to school and college, go and make an effort to talk to people, bake some cakes for your flatmates to say hi, join clubs and societies. Life isn't meant to be easy but if you put effort in you will make friends and love uni! Get a more positive attitude. So many people would kill to have the opportunity to go to uni, you've got it so make the most of it
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Go out and pull

I read that as "pull out" ... :wink: :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending