The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Is daddy rich enough to buy you a pony?
What is the breakdown of your SAT score? Is there a particular section you scored poorly on?
Reply 3
my scores are-
reading - 430
writing - 510
math - 530
Reply 4
i am an international student do u think that i have a chance of gettin an offer from them ?
Unfortunately, with those reading and writing scores, I'd be inclined to say that gaining an offer of admission would be most difficult. Math might be a bit easier to slide on, but unfortunately a critical reading score so low indicates you probably would not be proficient enough in English to grasp the material in certain subjects. I would never say never though- perhaps they may offer you admission and require you to take intensive English classes, but relying on my instincts, I would say USC is too selective to admit students with such low scores.
ib too hard
my scores are-
reading - 430
writing - 510
math - 530

That is pretty bad even for USC. The median scores all those taking the SATS are around 560 x 3.
As for University of Southern California applicants, the mean SAT composite score was 2054
Perhaps you should retake the SATs. The average american applicant does them 2 or 3 times.

Alternatively, your father can donate a few million to them.
Money talks loudly in admissions to US universities. The price is just higher ( hundreds of millions ) at Ivys.
Reply 7
i have heard that USC likes international students.. i researched on collegeboard.com, and it speaks about the tests for international students.. here is the link.. remember i am an international student... and i have taken the TOEFL .. i should do pretty ok on that.. won't they consider this? and in that link they say that SAT reasoning test required for some.. but TOEFL compulsory..
Plz go to this link and let me know.. plus my IB score is pretty good.. the only problem is SAT.. can't they be impressed by the essay that i have written and discard the low SAT scores?
http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/CollegeDetail.jsp?collegeId=3341&profileId=9
thanks..
They may take into account you are international and your TOFEL, but how much it will forgive you for your SAT scores, I don't know. Actually, if they don't require the SAT for international students, I just wouldn't send them if I were you. That might be the smartest action to take- I have a friend at Bates, a US liberal arts college which makes SATs optional, and she's very smart but didn't do very well on the SAT- she opted not to send the scores and they admitted her based on other factors.

Your essay will count for a lot if they believe you wrote it but if you send them a 430 verbal score, they might question your essay, but on the other hand, as long as your recommendations and grades are excellent, they might not doubt the essay.

In the end, all you can do is your best. Don't worry so much about your application, send it off with everything you can, and whatever the decision is, know you tried and the result wont make or break your life. No one will really be able to tell you whether you'll get accepted or denied, as no one on here is an admissions expert, and even if they were, there are too many random facators that go into university acceptance that cannot be predicted.

Good luck.
Reply 9
i did send my score.. lets hope for the best.. but thanks so much for encouraging me.. i really appreciate it.. well any other comments?
Reply 10
Well I'd advice you to retake...ok...I know that SATS aren't as important as A-levels in US applications, but they're at least more important than GCSEs in UK apps. And 1450/2400 would be the equivalent of applying to a top 20 school in the UK with straight Ds at GCSEs, it raises red flags, even if you compensate with great scores everywhere else and great SAT IIs ( how did you do in those btw) especially considering how easy it is to retake SATs. Do you have a study guide? I can offer some advice if you need it for CR, but a study guide will give more improvements. I think if you get round 600 in each section you should be in a good range. ~400 but you should work on it. Sorry if I sound harsh but it's worse to give you a wrong impression and have you applying to HYPCSM without retaking and not get to go anywhere in Fall, when retaking might get you far better results. Good Luck
Reply 11
Changeling
Well I'd advice you to retake...ok...I know that SATS aren't as important as A-levels in US applications, but they're at least more important than GCSEs in UK apps. And 1450/2400 would be the equivalent of applying to a top 20 school in the UK with straight Ds at GCSEs, it raises red flags, even if you compensate with great scores everywhere else and great SAT IIs ( how did you do in those btw) especially considering how easy it is to retake SATs. Do you have a study guide? I can offer some advice if you need it for CR, but a study guide will give more improvements. I think if you get round 600 in each section you should be in a good range. ~400 but you should work on it. Sorry if I sound harsh but it's worse to give you a wrong impression and have you applying to HYPCSM without retaking and not get to go anywhere in Fall, when retaking might get you far better results. Good Luck

You already got an offer from USC? What was ur SAT score?
Reply 12
2190/2400 1540/1600

But I know people who've gotten in with 1800's/2400, so I wouldn't stress it tooo much. Try to get each section at least into the 600's and it won't be seen as a problem anymore. As long as you reach that, well SAts won't be the deciding factor =P but it'll stop hurting your chances and prompty the add off.s to look at other aspects of your application which I'm sure are great.
Reply 13
thanks so much for encouraging me..
Reply 14
Well Good luck! =P Didn't think I was being too encouraging myself. I have some notes on how I did the SATs so if you want any help with them jsut give me a pm.

Latest

Trending

Trending