Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I just started my AS levels on Wednesday and I'm quite enjoying it so far. I do Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and IT as my options. I have seen a lot of YouTube videos on A-Level revision help and some of them suggested doing the following:
    Every night when you get home or after every topic, write clear and condensed revision notes on your class notes on what you learnt that day/in that topic and keep them in a separate folder and you should do this throughout the year.
    I did this after my first biology lesson, but it took a long time! I was just wondering, should I do this? Every night I will definitely write flash cards and go over them until I know the content but, should I write condensed notes on what we learnt that day? I think if I were to do this, the file would still end up being full and just as big as my normal class folder so I was wondering is it worth it? In lessons we copy off the board and the teacher explains, we don't have to write fast while the teacher's speaking or anything, although I occasionally do if something worth noting is said.
    Do any A-Level students reading this write condensed revision notes? Do you think it's worth doing, or not?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I've finished my A levels and i'm starting my uni course soon. I hope you're finding A levels okay so far! I can see why someone has said that as condensing lesson notes not long after you've done it , can help you understand it, keep it fresh in your mind and is handy for revising when it comes to exams. But biology especially is very time consuming! I think doing your flash cards and going over them each night is great! Because you'll be continuously going over your notes, with condensed notes in biology they can still be long so it can seem more daunting. Right now I think on a daily basis if you can keep going over your flashcards Maybe in chemistry , wait until you've finished a topic and then do condensed notes, like wait until you've finished atomic structure in unit 1 then do a condensed summary on that As there is more content in biology, maybe do condensed notes at the end of each week.
    Hope this help!
    Hope you've had a great day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangaWhovian)
    Hi
    I've finished my A levels and i'm starting my uni course soon. I hope you're finding A levels okay so far! I can see why someone has said that as condensing lesson notes not long after you've done it , can help you understand it, keep it fresh in your mind and is handy for revising when it comes to exams. But biology especially is very time consuming! I think doing your flash cards and going over them each night is great! Because you'll be continuously going over your notes, with condensed notes in biology they can still be long so it can seem more daunting. Right now I think on a daily basis if you can keep going over your flashcards Maybe in chemistry , wait until you've finished a topic and then do condensed notes, like wait until you've finished atomic structure in unit 1 then do a condensed summary on that As there is more content in biology, maybe do condensed notes at the end of each week.
    Hope this help!
    Hope you've had a great day
    Thank you for replying so soon! I am finding them okay so far, thanks. I hope you like university when you go! Yes we went through so much in that biology lesson it was quite a shock in comparison to how much we'd normally go through in a lesson at GCSE. Yes I go over my flash cards and read my notes most nights and it helps a lot when it comes to the next lesson and you know you have that information engraved in your memory. I will definitely be following this advice, thank you!
    Hope you've also had a good day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewKn0x)
    Thank you for replying so soon! I am finding them okay so far, thanks. I hope you like university when you go! Yes we went through so much in that biology lesson it was quite a shock in comparison to how much we'd normally go through in a lesson at GCSE. Yes I go over my flash cards and read my notes most nights and it helps a lot when it comes to the next lesson and you know you have that information engraved in your memory. I will definitely be following this advice, thank you!
    Hope you've also had a good day!
    Aww it's not a problem! I'm glad to have been able to help a bit haha. I'm glad you're finding them okay so far. Thank you! I don't start until the 21st, I have some of the books required for biochemistry though and they are so thick!
    I think it's even more daunting when you haven't been doing them for too long, but there is always a lot of content in biology, but with you going over so much , i'm sure you're going to do well! Aw thank you!
    I did Biology and Chemistry at A level so if you need anything, feel free to message me!

ReputationRep:
    I think condensed notes is not a bad idea but flash cards would be better and easier to memorise because you can take them anywhere with you so the revision will not be limited to everynight. Making mindmaps and posters may also be a good idea especially in biology as you will be able to summarise huge amounts of information on one page which makes it easier to memorise.
    Hope this helped and i hope you enjoy your a levels!

ReputationRep:
    Aww it's not a problem! I'm glad to have been able to help a bit haha. I'm glad you're finding them okay so far. Thank you! I don't start until the 21st, I have some of the books required for biochemistry though and they are so thick!
    I think it's even more daunting when you haven't been doing them for too long, but there is always a lot of content in biology, but with you going over so much , i'm sure you're going to do well! Aw thank you!
    I did Biology and Chemistry at A level so if you need anything, feel free to message me!
    Yes you did help, I wasn't really sure what to do in terms of revising throughout the year and taking notes but now I know! We've only started Chemistry and we're doing Oxidation Numbers/states and writing chemical formulae which I find pretty straightforward so far, so it's all good. We went straight into Biochemistry in Biology and it was like woah! I've memorised it now and it's quite straightforward now but it was quite the step from GCSE. What grades did you get in both subjects if you don't mind my asking and what was your AS experience like in these subjects?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you did help, I wasn't really sure what to do in terms of revising throughout the year and taking notes but now I know! We've only started Chemistry and we're doing Oxidation Numbers/states and writing chemical formulae which I find pretty straightforward so far, so it's all good. We went straight into Biochemistry in Biology and it was like woah! I've memorised it now and it's quite straightforward now but it was quite the step from GCSE. What grades did you get in both subjects if you don't mind my asking and what was your AS experience like in these subjects?
    I started with biochemistry in biology too! Haha, i was very shocked at first. You will manage, the more you keep up with it the better you;ll find the experience. Erm my AS experience was awful to be honest, and my overall A2 grades aren't great. I got a C in chemistry and a B in biology. My AS experience was only so awful because I was ill and had to take time off, I took a few months off in A2. The way I was revising in A2, I would have done really well if i'd have not being ill and done it at AS, but I have learnt a lot even though i'm proud of my grades they're pretty poor for the majority of tsr. But i've learned so much about revising that's why i'm trying to help others
    I'm very determined for uni though.
    However both subjects are very interesting. I think chemistry becomes so much more interesting at A2 as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presiousrose)
    I think condensed notes is not a bad idea but flash cards would be better and easier to memorise because you can take them anywhere with you so the revision will not be limited to everynight. Making mindmaps and posters may also be a good idea especially in biology as you will be able to summarise huge amounts of information on one page which makes it easier to memorise.
    Hope this helped and i hope you enjoy your a levels!
    Thank you for your help! I think I'll do mindmaps at the end of each topic in Biology and Psychology so I'll have one big sheet with everything on it and use it to teach myself in the mirror lol! I think I'm going to condense my class notes each week or whenever I feel it's needed and put them in a file. I'll then use those condensed notes and write them on a huge mindmap and possibly condense them even further by using key words! I'll then test myself using the flash cards and teach myself the content.

ReputationRep:
    I started with biochemistry in biology too! Haha, i was very shocked at first. You will manage, the more you keep up with it the better you;ll find the experience. Erm my AS experience was awful to be honest, and my overall A2 grades aren't great. I got a C in chemistry and a B in biology. My AS experience was only so awful because I was ill and had to take time off, I took a few months off in A2. The way I was revising in A2, I would have done really well if i'd have not being ill and done it at AS, but I have learnt a lot even though i'm proud of my grades they're pretty poor for the majority of tsr. But i've learned so much about revising that's why i'm trying to help others
    I'm very determined for uni though.
    However both subjects are very interesting. I think chemistry becomes so much more interesting at A2 as well!
    They are NOT poor grades at A-Level! I'm sorry to hear you were ill during your AS year! I know, everybody seems to be a genius on here lol. I'm aiming for B's at AS in the sciences and if I carry both on to A2, I'll be aiming for B's again. I'm not really looking to get really high grades that will only put more pressure on myself because I don't really need them! I'm not looking at medicine or anything like that. I'd love to do biology at university, but I'm sure it will change! I'm sure you'll do great in university! Did you find chemistry extremely difficult?

ReputationRep:
    They are NOT poor grades at A-Level! I'm sorry to hear you were ill during your AS year! I know, everybody seems to be a genius on here lol. I'm aiming for B's at AS in the sciences and if I carry both on to A2, I'll be aiming for B's again. I'm not really looking to get really high grades that will only put more pressure on myself because I don't really need them! I'm not looking at medicine or anything like that. I'd love to do biology at university, but I'm sure it will change! I'm sure you'll do great in university! Did you find chemistry extremely difficult?
    Thanks! I'm still proud of them anyway, and yes they do!!! It's good you're aiming for Bs! And not putting too much pressure on yourself. It might change it might not! At first I wanted to do chemistry, but that only lasted a few months. Then half way through AS i decided biochemistry sounds interesting and now here i am haha.
    Erm well, I found unit 1 fine! Unit 2 was around the time of me being ill and i couldn't get my head around it, Because I was also ill I spent last time revising so I struggled with unit 2, I found that hard. I know this sounds really stupid to say but I actually found A2 chemistry easier than AS! It is synoptic though so you are meant to still remember AS knowledge at A2. But yeah I didn't find A2 extremely difficult, near the end of AS i did . I'm sure you're going to be absolutely fine and you obviously care a lot about your subjects to be looking into it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangaWhovian;[url="tel:59143825")
    59143825[/url]]Thanks! I'm still proud of them anyway, and yes they do!!! It's good you're aiming for Bs! And not putting too much pressure on yourself. It might change it might not! At first I wanted to do chemistry, but that only lasted a few months. Then half way through AS i decided biochemistry sounds interesting and now here i am haha.
    Erm well, I found unit 1 fine! Unit 2 was around the time of me being ill and i couldn't get my head around it, Because I was also ill I spent last time revising so I struggled with unit 2, I found that hard. I know this sounds really stupid to say but I actually found A2 chemistry easier than AS! It is synoptic though so you are meant to still remember AS knowledge at A2. But yeah I didn't find A2 extremely difficult, near the end of AS i did . I'm sure you're going to be absolutely fine and you obviously care a lot about your subjects to be looking into it!
    It's just that you hear so many people saying it's incredibly difficult and I was just wondering if you thought the same thing! It's good you found it interesting and not too difficult. I think we'll have to see with chemistry, from what I can understand unit 1 doesn't seem too difficult judging by the specification but I haven't seen unit 2 yet. I have a great teacher so I'm hoping everything will go smoothly! Haha! I actually looked into biochemistry as well but I'm not sure yet. Are you hoping to do something lab-based when you graduate or?

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.