Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I heard that EdExcel are scanning the papers onto the computer this year, and our teachers told us to only write in the specified boxes, but I always cross stuff out and write the answer outside it, so does this mean they wont be able to read it.
    It also seems strange as their are loci and proof questions that you need to answer in words.

ReputationRep:
    I just wrote this in another thread but...
    Yeah that's true, they're doing it with ASs too, that's why some papers have that bold line going all around the edge now, because that space is out of the scanner range. I think it's to make marking and moderating quicker.

ReputationRep:
    Yup I got that at the bottom of a few pages.
    So I take it that they scan the majority of the page, including the area around the boxes.

ReputationRep:
    Well the only part of the page that scans is the space within the bod line and the line that says 'leave blank' where the numbers of marks are written.

ReputationRep:
    surely they can't scan it in and get a computer to read it? Do you just mean they scan it in to be printed off again and read by an examiner? If they are scanned in then I doubt it will work for me because I changed my answers on some of them, and wrote them slightly away from the line. And however technologically advanced they get, surely they can't get a computer to read a stressed, panicked student's scrawlings? lol.

And if they are scanning them, they could have told everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    surely they can't scan it in and get a computer to read it? Do you just mean they scan it in to be printed off again and read by an examiner? If they are scanned in then I doubt it will work for me because I changed my answers on some of them, and wrote them slightly away from the line. And however technologically advanced they get, surely they can't get a computer to read a stressed, panicked student's scrawlings? lol.

And if they are scanning them, they could have told everyone.
    We got told by our teachers, and it does tell you not to write outside the lines. No, the computer doesn't mark them, it's meant to make sending the papers between examiners faster, (and cheaper because of less postage I suppose).

ReputationRep:
    Oh thank God, that's alright then. I didn't write outside the lines.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote some of it in pencil - well the working out for maths :eek: Will they still see it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soapsuds)
    I wrote some of it in pencil - well the working out for maths :eek: Will they still see it?
    i ntoiced their wierd computer blobs and squares on the outside and a border going around the page, i did sum worknig out in pencil but most in pen and ended up making a mess on the page. i think posting them is better but better in case the papers get lost sumhow.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.