Turn on thread page Beta

How did you revise for your car theory test? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, how did you revise for your car theory test? How long before you took the test? Any tips? And after how long did you do your practical?

Well, I bought the DVSA thery book and the high way code, do you think it's necessary to use the 'know your traffic signs' book too.

Sharing your experiences overall would be helpful too

ReputationRep:
    Read through the Highway Code book once - most of it is quite easy, and a lot of it is common sense.
    The only bits you need to really learn are traffic signs, road markings, speed limits, stopping distances and hand gestures.
    One thing I found useful was a book 'Theory Test for car drivers' by BSM, which has about 95% of the possible exam questions in it. There's a load of free practise tests you can do online as well.

I don't really think you'd need a separate book on traffic signs tbh, they should already be in the Highway Code and you can just learn them from there.

One thing you really need to do before you take the test is practise Hazard Perception - you need to have a feel for how to do that correctly, because if you fail that, you fail the whole test!

There isn't a set time limit on when you should take the practical after you pass - some people take the theory before they start driving, some people take it and then book their practical as soon as they pass. Your driving instructor should tell you when they think you're ready to do the practical

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    My sister had the whole book pack (5 books I think) when she revised for her test so I used those books (read all of them) about a week before the test if I remember correctly.

As for hazard perception, just look up test clips, I also got their software from my friend where they had practice hazard perception tests which helped me, also looked for some of them on google so I knew what kind of hazards I should expect. Only tip would be to practice hazard perception and at what time you should click.

And I've started driving lessons in few weeks after passing theory.

ReputationRep:
    app

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.