Turn on thread page Beta

Yesterday I move into a flat in East London ( I go to QMUL) and a few hours after I moved in I got mugged for the first time. It was so terrifying. Luckily they only took my phone which was insured and I wasn't injured but I'm absolutely terrified of going out now. Luckily the agency have a policy of letting new tenants move to a new property within the first few weeks free of charge so I will contact them in Monday and try to find somewhere near a tube station so I won't have to walk far in the dark.

I have been in my flat all day going over what happened. I feel so violated and vulnerable now and just unsafe. I keep having moments where I recall the incident and I start trembling and crying, it's just awful. I know it sounds naive but I don't understand how people can be so cruel to another person. I have social anxiety and this incident has just set me so far back.

The worst thing is that I know that it's likely that it will happen again and next time I may get stabbed or something - I know someone who even had a gun pulled on them.

At the moment I'm just not going out at night but as the days get shorter that's going to become increasingly unworkable.

If anyone has any advice, similar experiences or any comments I'd be grateful as I'm in a very low place right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    At the moment I'm just not going out at night but as the days get shorter that's going to become increasingly unworkable.
    Buy a Maglite or something, it's a torch but it can be used in self defence.

If anyone has any advice, similar experiences or any comments I'd be grateful as I'm in a very low place right now.
    Something similar happened to me a couple times when I was about 14/15, the chances of you seeing these people again and them doing it again, I'd say is unlikely. No need to worry imo.

What happened? Where were you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry you had to go through that, especially just as you'd moved in. I'd advise going to speaking to a councilor at QM or someone who can give you a bit more reassurance and support because you must be in a scary place right now.

If you need someone to chat to PM me, I'm starting at QM this month. Also, may I ask what part of East London that was in?

Best wishes x

ReputationRep:
    Buy a Maglite or something, it's a torch but it can be used in self defence.[/QUOTE]
    How do you use it as a weapon?

I recommend a personal safety alarm as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Buy a Maglite or something, it's a torch but it can be used in self defence.
    How do you use a Maglite as a weapon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana00)
    How do you use a Maglite as a weapon?
    A maglite is a big, heavy torch, if you belted someone in the head with one then it would seriously hurt.

ReputationRep:
    How do you use it as a weapon?

I recommend a personal safety alarm as well.
    You clonk someone on the head. Could probably crack a skull with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad_moose)
    A maglite is a big, heavy torch, if you belted someone in the head with one then it would seriously hurt.
    Maybe mine is the mini version then?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they do make little ones, you can get ones that are basically clubs though.

ReputationRep:
    The 6D one I think it is, is like a baton, I haven't got one but my mate has. They make them in different sizes. Videos of people smashing coconuts and bricks with them on Youtube.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad_moose)
    Yeah they do make little ones, you can get ones that are basically clubs though.
    That does explain a lot

ReputationRep:
    Buy a LED LENSER torch and forget maglite forever.

LED LENSER ones are quite pricy but if you get the decent ones (talking upwards of £60-70) then they come with a strobe defence mode. Literally, aim the super bright LEDs flashing and the attacker is blinded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Wilfred Little)
    x
    The Maglite is actually a really good idea. I'm definitely considering getting one.

I was on Bow Common Lane at around 10pm when these guys just pulled my phone out of my hands and sped off. I suppose I shouldn't have had it out but I got complacent I guess.

(Original post by Hanya Pouncey)
    x
    Thanks a lot. I do feel a bit better now. If anything it's made me much more cautious so I have learned a lesson! As I just mentioned I was on Bow Common Lan at around 10pm.

(Original post by phoenixsilver)
    x
    Do you have a link to a specific model? There's quite a few on the website? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The Maglite is actually a really good idea. I'm definitely considering getting one.

I was on Bow Common Lane at around 10pm when these guys just pulled my phone out of my hands and sped off. I suppose I shouldn't have had it out but I got complacent I guess.

Thanks a lot. I do feel a bit better now. If anything it's made me much more cautious so I have learned a lesson! As I just mentioned I was on Bow Common Lan at around 10pm.

Do you have a link to a specific model? There's quite a few on the website? Thanks
    Sorry, not sure if you are quoting me as I'm on mobile and you replaced the quote with an X.
    The model is up to you, I'd go for a microprocessor one as they have the flashing strobe light.
    I myself have a P7 and an X21.2R, the latter of which is a mega torch!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy a weapon.

You hit someone with it in the wrong place and they could die.

Regardless of whether it was in self defence or not that's a hell of a thing to live with...

Try and move if you can, and try and stay with a group if you're likely to be put in a vulnerable situation.

Don't buy a maglite if you're thinking of using it as a weapon. Great torches though.

ReputationRep:
    What actually happened?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.