Turn on thread page Beta

Why do football boots look so ridiculous these days? watch

ReputationRep:
    Went to buy some football boots the other day for 9 a side. Nike were only really selling fluorescent and pink boots. Loads of weird colour schemes going on with Adidas too and outlandish designs.

Decided to go for some black Tiempos and tbh I think they should be more popular.

Like... really?
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-hyp...lcode=20139316

ReputationRep:
    my brother bought a pair of literally neon green ones today😷

ReputationRep:
    To stand out.

When I played I usually wore black puma kings. Simple & understated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    To stand out.

When I played I usually wore black puma kings. Simple & understated.

Yeah, I love the simple and understated look. Garish colours and patterns do nothing for me really. Football boots nowadays look like those shoes you would wear to glow in the dark when you were a kid.

ReputationRep:
    They look ridiculous. It's time black boots came back. World Cups are good.

Not just the colour but design as well, there's been an emphasis on boots built for speed like the Mercurial Vapor but these are awful imo. Nike discontinued the Total 90s and Adidas just discontinued Predators. A real shame.

Power boots > speed boots.

ReputationRep:
    Sooo true. The quality and design of boots has been getting worse since around 2010. The last few predator designs were really bad anyway, i miss the old ones.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I miss Adidas Predators. Always begged my Dad to buy me a pair, my feet were huge as well so i'd have to get adult sizes.

(Original post by Wilfred Little)
    They look ridiculous. It's time black boots came back. World Cups are good.

Not just the colour but design as well, there's been an emphasis on boots built for speed like the Mercurial Vapor but these are awful imo. Nike discontinued the Total 90s and Adidas just discontinued Predators. A real shame.

Power boots > speed boots.
    Ahh yes I miss year 6 when every boy in my class had a pair of total 90 astros.

ReputationRep:
    It's because the main football boot designers in recent years are all gay.

Fact!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Best football boots - and always will be - are the black World Cups/Copa Mundials.

ReputationRep:
    Man T90s were the best, I remember when I finally bought s pair that were the high end type :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.x.Gotze)
    Went to buy some football boots the other day for 9 a side. Nike were only really selling fluorescent and pink boots. Loads of weird colour schemes going on with Adidas too and outlandish designs.

Decided to go for some black Tiempos and tbh I think they should be more popular.

Like... really?
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-hyp...lcode=20139316
    Imagine having to sell them for a year in your part time job...

Personally I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Regardless of how stupid the colour schemes are, there's so little protection in them nowadays; it's all about being flashy with the "technology of the boot" while safety is almost completely ignored.

You can never go wrong with some old school World Cup Adidas or T90s; the classic boots are expensive but very effective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Marketing, and because of Premier League players wearing them. Lucio and SR90 make valid points.

ReputationRep:

Used to own a pair of these and I thought they were very colourful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.x.Gotze)

Used to own a pair of these and I thought they were very colourful!
    I had exactly the same; loved the silver colour on them.
    You were one of the coolest kids on the field if you had a pair of those bad boys

Sad to see how times have changed...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Even the Total 90s were too flashy for me back in the day. I just Googled and I remember coveting the Adidas Predators around 2004 and eventually getting them :love:

Regrettably my football didn't measure up to the majesty of the boots. If they'd only invent a pair that would kick the ball for you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Man T90s were the best, I remember when I finally bought s pair that were the high end type :coma:
    Same, I've got a pair still in box, £12 on Kitbag lel. Obviously an error but they honoured it.

These ones:

ReputationRep:
    They look really hideous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Imagine having to sell them for a year in your part time job...

Personally I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Regardless of how stupid the colour schemes are, there's so little protection in them nowadays; it's all about being flashy with the "technology of the boot" while safety is almost completely ignored.

You can never go wrong with some old school World Cup Adidas or T90s; the classic boots are expensive but very effective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's why I've never rated the Vapors. They are paper thin, fine as a sprinting shoe but not when someone could potentially stamp on you with metal studs, or even rip.

That's just ****ing silly. The only reason they sold loads is cos of Ronaldo and all the preening ***** wanting to be like him.

ReputationRep:
    Because who spends more money on football boots? Adults who want something normal or Adults with children who are amazed by all the colours? Its all business my friend.

ReputationRep:
    I spend ages looking for a decent pair of boots. I really hate the bright colours and patterns, I'd just like a normal pair of boots in black or something.

My friends don't seem to have this issue, they love the bright boots. One even has a pair that looks like ****ing leopard print boots.

Its an issue as when I do find a decent pair they only go up to size 10 or something like that, when for football boots I have to go for size 13 (Size 12 shoes).

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.