Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So recently i got accepted into my chosen college to do the IB diploma, now my school doesnt start until the 14th of september (but we do have to go on some trips and go to school for inductions etc. in the mean while) so i was wondering if anyone who is or has ever done the IB diploma could give me some advice on what to do when i start, how to prepare and what it will be like. Anything would be appreciated Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    be organised, don't procrastinate. Retype your notes or write them in order of the syllabus (find it online). make sure you understand what the syllabus is looking for. finish CAS as quickly as possible. Also, don't forget to have fun! you won't have much time to do much outside of the diploma so make sure you're enjoying it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgnesGrey1)
    be organised, don't procrastinate. Retype your notes or write them in order of the syllabus (find it online). make sure you understand what the syllabus is looking for. finish CAS as quickly as possible. Also, don't forget to have fun! you won't have much time to do much outside of the diploma so make sure you're enjoying it
    I will definately try to keep all that in mind as the year progresses, Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm in the second year of the IB diploma programme, and my first tip is: don't procrastinate. This is the most important thing because procrastination will get you nowhere and is something that you can easily fall into in IB (hence IB students being crowned the kings and queens of procrastination) due to the fact that at certain points you will have such a huge workload that you won't even know where to start. Take me now for example, I have 20+ things on my to do list currently and 3 important tests to revise for (but this is also includes CAS and filling out uni reference stuff so don't freak out). Even so, it seems like quite a lot but do keep in mind that I haven't been working that hard for the past few days and that September/October is one of the most busy months along with the month before exams but it still goes back to my point on how you must not procrastinate in the latter year of IB or you will regret it when things start piling up and stress starts building up.

Please don't feel overwhelmed by my example or by the stories that other people tell you especially ones concerning IB = no sleep. I can tell you now, that is false. There is no need to pull ANY all-nighters if you can manage your time relatively well, and the first year of IB is a lot more lenient, you have time to procrastinate. You will have free time and you will get sleep and everything else in life. I slacked off quite a bit in my first year and in summer, and I'm fine. So you can get away with it.

CAS is an integral part of IB so you will have genuine opportunities take on leadership positions, attempt something new or just be part of a team. Try and make sure that the subjects you've picked are the ones you want to study and that you're not studying them because your parents or friends think that's what's best. You'll be the one that has to do all the homework, coursework and revise for exams so it's in your best interest to pick what YOU will enjoy studying, and you will regret it if you choose to study a subject that you kind of hate.

The best thing is to take it easy at the beginning. Starting planning early. You'll have things you need to complete such as your Extended Essay, CAS and IAs for each subject. You can start thinking about the EE, doing a bit of research on its demands and requirements and thinking about what you would like to do. Don't worry too much about it at this point though, I'm still working on my EE and I'm already in second year. CAS is also something you might want to think about. So what kind of extracurriculars do you already do? If say, you're not a sporty person, you might need to find a new activity such as running club in order to fulfil that action major requirement! You will also have to undertake a CAS project which is meant to incorporate two of the elements within Creativity, Action and Service so for example fundraising activities to rebuild a school in another country after an Earthquake or something. That's just one of the many things you could do.

If you manage your time relatively well in the beginning, you will be fine. If you don't, well okay you'll be quite stressed when second year rolls around and you realize that you've really got to get your act together if you want to pass or do well (depending on your abilities), but you will still be fine. Another important thing is to remember to relax, and take it easy at times. Don't be stressed out by your workload, motivate yourself daily, and if you get tired of work or feel burnt out, then take a night off and go watch a movie with your friends! You deserve a break. Best of luck with IB! When things get tough, remember that no matter, you will make it through. To be honest, IB is hard and stressful at times, but it's rewarding and fun and new. I can honestly say that it'll be something I will remember for the rest of my life, you make some of the best memories when you're doing IB and in high school in general so please, please remember to try your best but most of all, enjoy it.

P.S. Since you're thinking about what you should do to prepare for IB or general tips for the course, I'd say you're already ahead Keep it up and you'll do just fine. Also, if you have any more questions feel free to reply with questions/PM me at any time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverdolphin)
    Hi! I'm in the second year of the IB diploma programme, and my first tip is: don't procrastinate. This is the most important thing because procrastination will get you nowhere and is something that you can easily fall into in IB (hence IB students being crowned the kings and queens of procrastination) due to the fact that at certain points you will have such a huge workload that you won't even know where to start. Take me now for example, I have 20+ things on my to do list currently and 3 important tests to revise for (but this is also includes CAS and filling out uni reference stuff so don't freak out). Even so, it seems like quite a lot but do keep in mind that I haven't been working that hard for the past few days and that September/October is one of the most busy months along with the month before exams but it still goes back to my point on how you must not procrastinate in the latter year of IB or you will regret it when things start piling up and stress starts building up.

Please don't feel overwhelmed by my example or by the stories that other people tell you especially ones concerning IB = no sleep. I can tell you now, that is false. There is no need to pull ANY all-nighters if you can manage your time relatively well, and the first year of IB is a lot more lenient, you have time to procrastinate. You will have free time and you will get sleep and everything else in life. I slacked off quite a bit in my first year and in summer, and I'm fine. So you can get away with it.

CAS is an integral part of IB so you will have genuine opportunities take on leadership positions, attempt something new or just be part of a team. Try and make sure that the subjects you've picked are the ones you want to study and that you're not studying them because your parents or friends think that's what's best. You'll be the one that has to do all the homework, coursework and revise for exams so it's in your best interest to pick what YOU will enjoy studying, and you will regret it if you choose to study a subject that you kind of hate.

The best thing is to take it easy at the beginning. Starting planning early. You'll have things you need to complete such as your Extended Essay, CAS and IAs for each subject. You can start thinking about the EE, doing a bit of research on its demands and requirements and thinking about what you would like to do. Don't worry too much about it at this point though, I'm still working on my EE and I'm already in second year. CAS is also something you might want to think about. So what kind of extracurriculars do you already do? If say, you're not a sporty person, you might need to find a new activity such as running club in order to fulfil that action major requirement! You will also have to undertake a CAS project which is meant to incorporate two of the elements within Creativity, Action and Service so for example fundraising activities to rebuild a school in another country after an Earthquake or something. That's just one of the many things you could do.

If you manage your time relatively well in the beginning, you will be fine. If you don't, well okay you'll be quite stressed when second year rolls around and you realize that you've really got to get your act together if you want to pass or do well (depending on your abilities), but you will still be fine. Another important thing is to remember to relax, and take it easy at times. Don't be stressed out by your workload, motivate yourself daily, and if you get tired of work or feel burnt out, then take a night off and go watch a movie with your friends! You deserve a break. Best of luck with IB! When things get tough, remember that no matter, you will make it through. To be honest, IB is hard and stressful at times, but it's rewarding and fun and new. I can honestly say that it'll be something I will remember for the rest of my life, you make some of the best memories when you're doing IB and in high school in general so please, please remember to try your best but most of all, enjoy it.

P.S. Since you're thinking about what you should do to prepare for IB or general tips for the course, I'd say you're already ahead Keep it up and you'll do just fine. Also, if you have any more questions feel free to reply with questions/PM me at any time
    That was actually one of the most useful things ive read about the IB and am sure it will help me tremendously within the next 2 years, I appreciate the time you put in to write that and I will certainly use all the advice you have given

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.