Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my AS year. I study Maths, Art, Law and Business and got AABB retrospectively.

I know I definitely want to go to uni, and I've been so excited with the thought of it for years! But I have to start applying soon (4 weeks) and I have no idea what degree to choose. People say 'do something you love', but I'm struggling to work out what I love.

I'm quite an 'all-rounder' in the sense that im not amazing at one thing I'm just alright at everything. People say an all rounder is a good thing but I'd MUCH rather have one thing I'm good at and that I love, (would make this much easier).

Anyway so I've attempted to shortlist it down to Law or Architecture but I'm not overjoyed by either.

My sister did a law degree because she was in the same position as me and it was seen as a broad degree but still well thought of, (my mum thinks I should do law), but my sisters now found unless you're looking to peruse a law career it isn't a great degree for employability in other fields.

I thought of Architecture because I've always liked buildings, my dad used to take me to stately homes. But I don't know if appreciating good architecture means if want to design my own buildings or if I'd be good at it?

Anyway I don't want a typical 'desk job' I want something that's slightly creative but also something that uses my brain.

Id really appteciate any advice at all! Thanks for sticking with me this far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlmanning)
    I've just finished my AS year. I study Maths, Art, Law and Business and got AABB retrospectively.

I know I definitely want to go to uni, and I've been so excited with the thought of it for years! But I have to start applying soon (4 weeks) and I have no idea what degree to choose. People say 'do something you love', but I'm struggling to work out what I love.

I'm quite an 'all-rounder' in the sense that im not amazing at one thing I'm just alright at everything. People say an all rounder is a good thing but I'd MUCH rather have one thing I'm good at and that I love, (would make this much easier).

Anyway so I've attempted to shortlist it down to Law or Architecture but I'm not overjoyed by either.

My sister did a law degree because she was in the same position as me and it was seen as a broad degree but still well thought of, (my mum thinks I should do law), but my sisters now found unless you're looking to peruse a law career it isn't a great degree for employability in other fields.

I thought of Architecture because I've always liked buildings, my dad used to take me to stately homes. But I don't know if appreciating good architecture means if want to design my own buildings or if I'd be good at it?

Anyway I don't want a typical 'desk job' I want something that's slightly creative but also something that uses my brain.

If you don't yet know what you want to do, what about a 'mixed' degree such as Arts & Sciences? UCL, Birmingham and Surrey offer them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlmanning)

Is a gap year a possibility? Thus you could look for internships and try yourself out a bit, before making the decision, what you want to do with you life? it is much easier to apply after one gap year, than reorganize everything after a Bachelor. I would not just begin a degree for the sake of it. It may work out, but if it, it is really bitter. Also look into apprenticeships. Not wanting a desk job may be more easily achieved in that route and the good thing about an apprenticeship: you can allways study afterwards.

And really look into which courses the degree offers exactly, what you will do afterwards exactly and what you expect from uni. That will already help you to narrow it down.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.