Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So today, after months of applying for part time jobs, I was offered a job at John Lewis as a catering assistant. I was delighted, as I wanted to work there more than anywhere else. I looked at the times that my shifts would be and they are Saturday 9-6 / 10-7 (rotation) and Sunday 10-6. So that's 17 hours each week, 14.75 with breaks.

As I'm under 18 and still at school, I am a little concerned that this is perhaps too much. In the online application form, for the "how many hours are you available to work each week" question, I put 14 hours, hoping to do maybe 8 or 9 hours on Saturday or Sunday, plus an afternoon/evening during the week when I have free periods.

So my question is, do you think this is too much for someone still at school? For other people working at John Lewis, is there any way I can change my working hours? I don't want to risk losing this job because I've wanted to work here for ages (I would rather just work the 17 hours than lose the offer). I have until next Saturday to respond to the offer.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Am I missing something? That's 15 hours?

As long as you're happy with your time-management, it shouldn't be a problem at all - but make sure to remember priorities and that this is just on the side to your study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hicong)
    Am I missing something? That's 15 hours?

As long as you're happy with your time-management, it shouldn't be a problem at all - but make sure to remember priorities and that this is just on the side to your study.
    It's definitely 17 (excluding breaks - which I'll still need to be in the vicinity for anyway).

I think it should be fine and I think I'll take up the offer, but if I do get too stressed out, do you think it would be possible to ask my manager to cut it down to one day?

ReputationRep:
    you'll be fine. make use of your frees and with every evening off you'll have everything done. it will probably get you in a good habit of getting work done on weekdays anyway

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.