Turn on thread page Beta

Want to play 5 A Side Football but too heavy and unfit? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm going back to University very soon would love to join some of my course mates in playing 5 A Side Football. However, my fear is that I'm far too heavy and unfit and I would embarrass myself in front of everyone.

I did weigh almost 26 stone in 2013 but I've now got this down to 19 Stone. I'm continuing to steadily and healthily lose weight but I feel really left out that I don't join up for the 5 A Side Football.

Is 19 stone too heavy/unfit to keep up with the pace of 5 A Side Football?

Would absolutely love to play but like I said I fear I would not be able to keep up and I would end up embarrassing myself and annoying my team mates.

Would like some opinions and advice on this.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, congratz on the weight loss bro.

I'm assuming you're not a GK, so yes you will struggle and yes it will annoy team mates. But why should that stop you? Unless you're representing your university in BUCS then it's all recreational bs that counts for nothing.

Your life, do what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    If it's recreational you'll be fine man. Keep subbing in and out of goalie if you get tired.

ReputationRep:
    Well done on your weightloss so far.

Have you considered rugby union/league/American football as an alternative? Sure you won't be that mobile, but being able to bulldoze through the opposite is an asset to your team.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say you should maybe do a 10-15 minute jog a couple of times a week to build up some minimal stamina, just so you'll feel a little bit less tired during the game! Other than that, you'll be fine for 5-a-side. I'd recommend playing CM or CDM on such a small pitch, that way you can just make tackles and passes. The more you play, the easier it will get. You'll build up noticeable stamina in no time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    If it's recreational you'll be fine man. Keep subbing in and out of goalie if you get tired.
    Pimped is the perfect example of a morbidly obese individual who indulges in a game of 5 a side football

ReputationRep:
    If you find football a bit strenuous, i would give american football a go. from personal experience it really helps you to lose weight/ gain muscle from a low starting point. Good luck either way!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.