Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on applying for Physics/Astrophysics at St Andrews. I just visited the place and it is stunningly beautiful, and the university's academic quality matches that perfectly.
    My question is whether I still hold the chance of getting an offer with these grades? I got AAAAB in my highers, the 4 A's at mathematics, computing, biology and english and, quite ironically, a B in physics (the one for which I studied the most - worst part is that I was 1 mark off an A). My grades satisfy the general entry requirements but I don't know whether my B in physics would blow my chances of an offer, since I'm putting myself against a lot of competition and the admission tutors do put major emphasis at the grades which are relevant to the course I'm applying for.

ReputationRep:
    St Andrew's from my experience have a habit of being rather harsh towards Scottish students for physics. I never applied there myself but I've met and know of plenty of people in past years who got AAAAB in 5th with the B in something unrelated like English who've been rejected. Could be totally different for yourself though and there's no harm in applying as you get 4 other choices on your UCAS form. I guess it's a bit tighter if you want to do astrophysics as only Edinburgh and Glasgow offer it in Scotland and neither of them are much like St Andrews at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 6, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.