Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently opted to do Physics A level and Maths (Decision) A level at college. I know Maths(Mechanics) might be the most common combination with Physics but I just thought I might do better with decision. I am just wondering if is a stupid decision and if it would be better to change it when I start as it would go much better with Physics? Would really appreciate to hear from anyone who has experience in taking either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mechanics would help your physics more and vide versa, but decision is easier so most likely to get a higher grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the response, that helps a lot. I am willing to put the extra effort in to learning the mechanics I need for physics in order to have a bigger advantage in Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolbear99)
    Thank you for the response, that helps a lot. I am willing to put the extra effort in to learning the mechanics I need for physics in order to have a bigger advantage in Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My only piece of advice is that if you have to do two decision modules, you will want to kill yourself. (unless you really enjoy decision maths) Hence, I would suggest that you do mechanics as it will make the vast majority of your physics mechanics extremely easy.

ReputationRep:
    I believe (not 100% sure) that I can choose differently the second year. Do you think it would work if I took decision the first year and possibly mechanics the second? I am officially enrolled as doing decision now but I think I could probably change it if I asked. I am nervous that I have made a bad decision and it may leave me behind the rest of my class in Physics. Am I correct in thinking that decision/mechanics is only actually one module of four so you don't actually spend too long on it anyway? I really appreciate the help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It would probably be best to take Mechanics first then Decision as the Maths Mechanics will help you learn the Physics Mechanics and vice versa. Another thing to bear in mind is exam difficulty. Some people really love Mechanics (like me) and loathe Decision (also like me ) so it depends on what you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    Mechanics will really help you with your AS Physics, you can just take decision in your A2 maths instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolbear99)
    I recently opted to do Physics A level and Maths (Decision) A level at college. I know Maths(Mechanics) might be the most common combination with Physics but I just thought I might do better with decision. I am just wondering if is a stupid decision and if it would be better to change it when I start as it would go much better with Physics? Would really appreciate to hear from anyone who has experience in taking either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Physics and Mechanics complement each other quite well. Also, Decisions has a reputation of being easy (e.g. in my local sixth form it's taken by those who can't handle statistics or mechanics) which could affect your university application

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! From the advice on here it looks like I may have to talk to them about it when I start and possibly change it to mechanics. Personally I feel I really like the look of the decision while I am not at all as keen on the mechanics. Therefore it is possible that I may be able to push myself further in maths if I take decision. I am however willing to sacrifice the the decision module if it will really help that much with my Physics. How much of the year is generally spent on decision/mechanics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 6, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.