Turn on thread page Beta

Panicking about my a level choices??! Please help!! watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting my first year of a levels tomorrow and I'm really worried about the options I've picked. At the moment I've chosen biology, chemistry, psychology and philosophy for my as level.
    I'm pretty sure I want to do a psychology degree at university but I also have a slight interest in maybe doing medicine. Would these a levels be suitable for doing a medicine degree at a Russell group university? What are my chances of being accepted without physics or maths? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    those a levels are fine, don't worry.

maths and physics aren't compulsory for medicine nor favoured, only biology and chemistry are. dont underestimate your a levels though, they're tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grassntai)
    those a levels are fine, don't worry.

maths and physics aren't compulsory for medicine nor favoured, only biology and chemistry are. dont underestimate your a levels though, they're tough.
    Ok, thank you. It's just that I've heard loads of people saying that it's practically impossible to do medicine at a Russell group university without doing biology, chemistry and maths/physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabella37)
    Ok, thank you. It's just that I've heard loads of people saying that it's practically impossible to do medicine at a Russell group university without doing biology, chemistry and maths/physics?
    That's ridiculous, maths and physics are by no means mandatory nor necessary for a course in medicine. I think actually a subject like psychology or sociology would fit better for a career in health care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting my first year of a levels tomorrow and I'm really worried about the options I've picked. At the moment I've chosen biology, chemistry, psychology and philosophy for my as level.
    I'm pretty sure I want to do a psychology degree at university but I also have a slight interest in maybe doing medicine. Would these a levels be suitable for doing a medicine degree at a Russell group university? What are my chances of being accepted without physics or maths? Thanks
    Those are great choices - you'll definitely be fine to study Psychology (I'm actually about to start uni to study this ) or Medicine.

I have a friend doing medicine who took Biology, Chemistry and Psychology to A2 - Maths/Physics definitely aren't compulsory for Medicine!!

ReputationRep:
    I would argue that possibly maths would have been a good choice, its generally looked on favourably and i have a friend doing psychology who uses stats quite a lot. Although, when i started my course (chemistry), those who didn't have a maths A level just had to do extra maths modules to make up for it.

ReputationRep:
    I think I recommend taking mathematics over philosophy, reason being that mathematics is a favourable subject for both medicine and psychology and if you were to perhaps change your mind, mathematics may become really handy, since a lot of subjects require mathematics. If you don't take maths, although maths is not a required subject, you might be at a disadvantage over other medicine applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for everyone's help. I will have a think about it and let you know what I decide

ReputationRep:
    some top universities ask for chemistry and 2 subjects from bio/phys/maths but most only ask for chemistry and biology it depends. so not doing maths/physics can limit your options but not by a lot. it DOES mean however that you cannot apply to oxbridge, but idk if you wanted to in the 1st place.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.