Turn on thread page Beta

Paying for LNAT courses? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with paying to go on an LNAT prep courses- does it help, is it worth it, and how much did you improve?

http://www.oxbridgeapplications.com/...-courses/lnat/

^ This is what I'm currently looking at, mainly because I'm worried about the Essay and knowing if what I'm writing at the moment is good enough for unis, but the cost is very steep. How have other people managed to establish what standard their LNAT essays are at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    Hi,
    Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with paying to go on an LNAT prep courses- does it help, is it worth it, and how much did you improve?

^ This is what I'm currently looking at, mainly because I'm worried about the Essay and knowing if what I'm writing at the moment is good enough for unis, but the cost is very steep. How have other people managed to establish what standard their LNAT essays are at?
    That seems awfully expensive for a course that could be quite useless. I'm currently preparing for the LNAT and I'm relying on a couple of books mainly - Passing the National Admissions Test for Law: Third Edition and Practise & Pass Professional: LNAT, and these books seem to cover both sections well. Establishing the standard of LNAT essays isn't easy though; I did four essay subjects at AS level so I'll basically evaluate them as if they were for those subjects, particularly Lit, but it isn't perfect.

It's worth noting that different universities use the essays in different ways - from what I've heard, some link them to the personal statement, while others do something else. So you can't really evaluate the standard as such; it's probably best to write in your natural style, the same way you did for your PS, and choose a topic you think you can argue with effectively, and not worry about it too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    Hi,

Don't do it! - I've done the LNAT and trust me, you do not need those courses, buy a book (i used Mark Shepherds Mastering the National Admissions Test for Law) and you should be fine. In terms of essays, go through past papers and write up essay plans for each, remembering that you'd only need to write one, and its hardly an essay anyway, they want like 600ish words! Hope this helped

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.