Turn on thread page Beta

What language should I take to help employment in the environmental field? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have about two more years of college left right now. I took French all through high school and my first two years of college.. I would've taken it this coming term but my school doesn't have any 4th year French options for people not studying the language.
    So I'm gonna take a different language. I LOVE languages. I would be a linguistics major if I didn't have a passion for the environment. I really want to move to Europe and work there (so if a certain language could help this, that's a plus). I'm going to try to keep up my French though. (I have a friend who's French-American, may try to find a penpal online, and I think there's a language group at my school).
    I'm currently registered for accelerated Spanish. My parents think I should take Chinese.... All I can say about that is that it would be "cool" to know the language, but I don't have much desire to live or spend a lot of time in China. Of the east Asian countries I'd much rather learn Japanese.
    There are a lot of languages I'm interested in learning: Arabic, Russian, Italian, German, Portuguese, and Spanish.
    I like Spanish because it's spoken all over the US and in South America where I know there are big time environmental issues. Also I figure I could pick it up fairly easily with my French background. But I wonder if it's a language I could learn with some smart immersion - living or working in Spain, maybe even just with language learning tools or a conversation group.
    I like Italian and German because I have ancestors from both these places. As a very typical Euro-mutt American I've always longed to connect with a culture (I'm 7 different ethnicities) and I think German is very cool language and their culture is intriguing, and I know we have some relatives in Italy (though my mom lost touch with them).
    I like Portuguese because I know it's spoken in areas with environmental issues, but also I am Portuguese.
    Russian because I knew some kids growing up who were Russian. And it's such a massive, mysterious country....
    Arabic because there are lots of Arabic students at my school and I worked in a daycare with Arabic-speaking children. I'm fascinated by the cultures that speak it and it's such a pretty language. Not sure about the practicality though because I've heard even native speakers can't understand the different dialects.

http://www.crosswalk.com/family/home...e-for-you.htmlthis website suggests German for science. That's just one opinion though.

How should I go about choosing? I know it should be about what interests me most but my parents (at least my dad, he chewed me out for commenting how it would be "cool" to speak Chinese - "it should be about what's best for your career, blah blah blah1") think it should be the best for my career. I do agree with them though, hopefully between the languages I'm interested in one of them would be best for my field. What do you think?
    Sorry this is so long....

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.