Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At AS I did: C1 C2 D1
    At A2 I'm doing: C3 C4 M1

If I were going to do physics / engineering at uni, would this be a good FM combo (edexcel):

FP1 FP2 FP3 M2 M3 M4
    Or is it better to throw in at least a bit of stats, like for example FP1 FP2 FP3 M2 M3 S1?

Help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexeiLipov)

If I were going to do physics / engineering at uni, would this be a good FM combo (edexcel):

FP1 FP2 FP3 M2 M3 M4
    Or is it better to throw in at least a bit of stats, like for example FP1 FP2 FP3 M2 M3 S1?

Help!
    Stats can go f*** as far as I'm concerned. I'd agree with the first combo, you'll find it very helpful indeed.if you really think that stats might useful you can get a book and start going over basic stuff but you hardly use it for engineering might come on handy for physics. But that's a solid combo. I'd say do d2 on side as well an extra module will help if you screw up in one of them, I learnt the hard way haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilovemaths96)
    Stats can go f*** as far as I'm concerned. I'd agree with the first combo, you'll find it very helpful indeed.if you really think that stats might useful you can get a book and start going over basic stuff but you hardly use it for engineering might come on handy for physics. But that's a solid combo. I'd say do d2 on side as well an extra module will help if you screw up in one of them, I learnt the hard way haha
    Thanks, is an extra module worth the extra work load? Considering I'm planning to do 4 A2s as well as FM AS and A2 in one year, which means 10 maths modules in one year? Compared to last year when I did 3, lol. Even if I only did 3 A2s on the side, would 10 maths modules be possible to do in a year to a good standard?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

FP1 FP2 FP3 M2 M3 M4

Help!
    Either combination sounds reasonable.

On the face of it, the more Mechanics you do the better, but Physics certainly contains some statistical concepts (depending which areas you study) so it wouldn't be a bad idea to get to grips with some of the basic ideas. Some of S1 is pretty mind-numbing unfortunately, but if you concentrate you shouldn't screw up on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Either combination sounds reasonable.

On the face of it, the more Mechanics you do the better, but Physics certainly contains some statistical concepts (depending which areas you study) so it wouldn't be a bad idea to get to grips with some of the basic ideas. Some of S1 is pretty mind-numbing unfortunately, but if you concentrate you shouldn't screw up on it!
    Mhmm true, that was my line of thought about statistics. Surely S1 is easier than M4? So if both are equally valuable, S1 would be the obvious choice?

ReputationRep:
    Throw in a bit of stats as well, its not a very challenging module so can help add extra ums. Also i know you're doing an engineering degree, but you do encounter topics like econometrics and thats where stats and binomial distribution etc can come into use I imagine. I would do atleast S1 imo, m4 is overkill imo as m1-3 would be sufficient for preparation in an engineering degree. Ofcourse the more mechanics the better, but the difficulty of m4 compared to s1 should help sway your decision and s1 for me is just picking up easy marks.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Mhmm true, that was my line of thought about statistics. Surely S1 is easier than M4? So if both are equally valuable, S1 would be the obvious choice?
    There's not much in it, I think. If you really enjoy Mechanics, go for M4 - although on some boards this contains relative motion which some people find a bit tricky to come to terms with.

S1 should certainly be "easier" and I would choose it for balance. You can always read up on some bits of M4 or M5 from an old textbook or online once you've finished A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help, I think I'll choose S1. Maybe M4 if I find M1-3 really interesting.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 6, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.