Turn on thread page Beta

Best Unis for Politics and IR? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've done my AS levels. I got an A in psych (86%), an A in sociology (97%), an A in politics (97.5%) and will be dropping drama (got a B at 78%)

So far I've narrowed my uni list down to:
    HSPS at Cambridge (unlikely I'll get in as my subjects are not facilitating but I really like the course)
    And I'm also looking at politics and IR at the following Unis:
    Durham, Exeter, York, Sheffield, Bristol, Birmingham
    I'm struggling to narrow it down so throw any feedback on the general pro and cons of the above universities and the course there. I'd like to hear about the cheapness and night life if any of you go them. And job prospects!
    Also tell me if you think I should or shouldn't bother applying to Cambridge based on my UMS. Be brutal.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard from people who go to these universities, Durham and Exeter are the worst for student nightlife (as well as expensive), while the rest are pretty similar in being seen as "fun". Though I reckon York is a little worse than the rest due to it being the smallest city.

Try the following sites to compare the courses directly:

unistats.com
    university.which.co.uk

They give you stats like how many applicants receive offers, student satisfaction, employment, etc.

I would also highly recommend looking at the programme details directly on each university's website. Some might be more biased towards political philosophy, for instance, and another might give IR more attention than the rest. Also look at the optional modules available. That kind of thing gives you an idea of what you'll study and whether you want to study there.

I'd definitely give Cambridge a shot if the course looks good for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stayg0ld)
    I've done my AS levels. I got an A in psych (86%), an A in sociology (97%), an A in politics (97.5%) and will be dropping drama (got a B at 78%)

So far I've narrowed my uni list down to:
    HSPS at Cambridge (unlikely I'll get in as my subjects are not facilitating but I really like the course)
    And I'm also looking at politics and IR at the following Unis:
    Durham, Exeter, York, Sheffield, Bristol, Birmingham
    I'm struggling to narrow it down so throw any feedback on the general pro and cons of the above universities and the course there. I'd like to hear about the cheapness and night life if any of you go them. And job prospects!
    Also tell me if you think I should or shouldn't bother applying to Cambridge based on my UMS. Be brutal.
    Thanks.
    As well as Nikola T's very helpful advice about looking at course content and nightlife I would also consider the campus vs city uni- Exeter, York and Birmingham are all self contained campuses with everything on one site, whilst Sheffield and I believe Bristol are buildings spread out across several public roads. Some people have a preference towards one or the other. Make sure you go and visit to see for yourself.

Try the Cambridge forum on here to get advice on whether your application is strong enough for there.

ReputationRep:
    LSE is one of the best for international relations and that's not just me being biased! they have a politics + ir course as well as international relations by itself.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.