The Student Room Group

Going to talk to a doctor tonight: what should I ask?

Hello,

Tonight I have managed to get to talk to a very accomplished doctor. It's mostly going to be about my personal statement but I was wondering what are the best questions to ask that would be good to know as a medical student. Have you got any ideas?

Thanks a lot :smile:
Personally, I would ask:

- What would have been useful to know at [the stage you are now at], which you didn't know back then.
- The relevance of medical school choice (what medical school did they go to, and how it has influenced their career, style etc)
- What, within medical circles, would seem corny and clichéd as a reason to commit to medicine as a career on a personal statement. How can you express it in a sincere way?
- The 'nitty-gritty' of a doctor's everyday tasks - is it really what it seems to an idealised year 13 applicant (for example)?

BTW, if you do ask any of these, please tag me if/when you report back.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by setarcoppiH
Personally, I would ask:

- What would have been useful to know at [the stage you are now at], which you didn't know back then.
- The relevance of medical school choice (what medical school did they go to, and how it has influenced their career, style etc)
- What, within medical circles, would seem corny and clichéd as a reason to commit to medicine as a career on a personal statement. How can you express it in a sincere way?
- The 'nitty-gritty' of a doctor's everyday tasks - is it really what it seems to an idealised year 13 applicant (for example)?

BTW, if you do ask any of these, please tag me if/when you report back.

- What would have been useful to know at [the stage you are now at], which you didn't know back then.That when applying to just stop being humble and really show yourself off, big yourself up and lay it on thick because there are more than 10 ppl to one place.
- The relevance of medical school choice (what medical school did they go to, and how it has influenced their career, style etc)Doesn't matter at all. Hospitals don't see where you go to med school when you apply for FY1. But an inter-calated degree is really beneficial despite the extra year.
- What, within medical circles, would seem corny and clichéd as a reason to commit to medicine as a career on a personal statement. How can you express it in a sincere way? It won't seem cliched if you seem sincere. The Dr said that sob stories like sister had cancer for your ps is cliched.
It's hard and there is a lot of work under pressure and loads of people want you to help them but you can't be in more than one place at the same time. The Dr listed a whole bunch of drawback (more than positives) but overall she is glad she chose this job as there is a lot she can do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending