Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically as the question says above😂 did any uni first years bring some of their a level work with them (obviously the stuff that was relevant to the course they were taking) or is it not worth it? I'm gonna be doing physical geography and geology and took geography as an a level so don't know whether bringing some of my stuff would help in any way...

ReputationRep:
    I did, mostly in case I had to go over the easier stuff before moving onto the harder stuff (i.e. in case I forget something).
    Just take it. Hell, am about to start my second year and am taking my A level stuff with me too. =P

IMO, A level is harder than Degree... (no joke).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amar0_25)
    Basically as the question says above😂 did any uni first years bring some of their a level work with them (obviously the stuff that was relevant to the course they were taking) or is it not worth it? I'm gonna be doing physical geography and geology and took geography as an a level so don't know whether bringing some of my stuff would help in any way...
    You can take it so you can look over it if any of the work is similar. But you won't be able to use it in essays because of the need for references which you often don't have in A levels notes. Even if you do have references, lecturers normally expect you to use more advanced books than you did at A level.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi there,

I brought all my notes from business and media for my course in Advertising as the theory was relevant to the course - however I found that I didn't need them as my lecturers suggested the books to read and reference that would give my coursework and exams the better grade.

It's worth taking them for your first year, seeing how useful they are to you - some courses will require a level reminders every now and then, but others won't.

Hope this helps,
    - Kath .

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't exactly bring your old text books but bring some of you work on your hard drive couldn't hurt but don't bring paper copies that's just dumb or even buy a book that covers some of the more basic bits but your uni should start from day 1 first year will cover a lot of a level stuff mostly in the first term.

ReputationRep:
    I think reading over A-Level stuff will create bad habits. Start from the beginning and read good, reliable, complex academic texts. Your lecturers will expect more of you, even in first year. I had a 'handbook' in first year which was recommended, far more comprehensive than any A-Level text but only academic enough to be used in first year.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I did for Maths, as some A-level stuff came up (some of which I'd never done before, and I felt the book explained it better than the lecture notes). But equally I could've looked that stuff up online.

ReputationRep:
    My BTEC Media work turned out to be a much higher standard than the university work, and covered more than what university did so I will say my old work was very useful.

I am still using my college work in my portfolio, there was only one piece of work from university that was portfolio worthy.

I took some of my stuff in first year, mainly cause I had the room to bring it and felt that there was no harm taking it along. I didn't really ever refer to it though. I found myself being able to access a vast amount of materials in the library, on YouTube, other websites and through stuff that the lecturers gave out. It doesn't harm if you take any of it, but if you think it may not be especially relevant or it's a pain to take then don't bother :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I brought my A Level textbook to Uni and it was helpful now and again, but not very often. I found that a lot of A level stuff was re-covered in first year at a faster pace & a deeper level.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.