Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been given homework about the 2nd amendment and i don't have a clue about it. i need to know what are the problems with it and why hasn't it been changed. Can anyone help?? thank you , Jade
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It means right to bare arms against a tyranny government.

ReputationRep:
    It means you can own guns

ReputationRep:
    The 2nd Amendment is the US right to bear arms. It says that

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

This has been held to mean that the best form of defence against oppression is the population being armed. In recent years, legal cases have held that it includes the right to own a gun for the purposes of self defence against other people, not just the government. Does your homework say what specifically about the 2nd Amendment you should write about? You could maybe talk about how it's a very controversial and polarizing subject in the US, how some feel it keeps people safe, and others feel they would be safer with stricter gun laws, and all the in between compromise proposals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadeymc94)
    Hi, I've been given homework about the 2nd amendment and i don't have a clue about it. i need to know what are the problems with it and why hasn't it been changed. Can anyone help?? thank you , Jade
    Dam your Proffessor must be taking orders right from Obama and the self hating Liberals.

Joke!

I think A level Politics has gone down the sewer with questions why the 2nd amendment needs change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KvasirVanir)
    The 2nd Amendment is the US right to bear arms. It says that

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

This has been held to mean that the best form of defence against oppression is the population being armed. In recent years, legal cases have held that it includes the right to own a gun for the purposes of self defence against other people, not just the government. Does your homework say what specifically about the 2nd Amendment you should write about? You could maybe talk about how it's a very controversial and polarizing subject in the US, how some feel it keeps people safe, and others feel they would be safer with stricter gun laws, and all the in between compromise proposals.
    Maybe also link what you've said with the militarisation of American police which could be argued is a result of the 2nd Amendment.

ReputationRep:
    there are pros and cons - you could have higher crime levels, but you'll feel safer owning a gun yourself.
    you'll also have more rights as an individual with the right to bear arms, but the government will be able to defend you less unless you carry a gun yourself
    if somebody points a gun at you and says "give me your money", and then you take out your own gun and shoot them, no more threat
    but if you have no gun, that's different. but the threat of a gun is hardly different to the threat of a knife, which is legal in this country of course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've just picked government and politics, we got homework during our enrolment to bring in for the first lesson but I have no clue how to do the last question. The teacher wants us to bring and write a summery of an article in the area of politics we like but I don't know any of the different areas of politics, so can someone help?

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone x

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.